• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chamonix or Chamonix ?

Road trip

Quote from the paint shop:

"Black is black.There are better, worse, sparkly, or not- quite blacks.

White?  There are about a hundred thousand whites, and then they never mix the

exact same way no matter how careful you are"

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

For whats is worth....my early '68 Chamonix 1600 was/is very creamy. When I got it...it had really faded original paint mixed with patches of what PO's painted alpine white...and over time, that faded to to give it this weird creamy fade to white then fade to creamy all over the car. Under the trunk lid was very creamy....I thought it was how the original looked  maybe time made it creamier...I dont know.. Then I got rear ended, and had the car fixed and painted, and had them match the color under the trunk lid. After I got the car back, I decided to pull the dashboard up to replace it. The paint revealed below matched the car (and the under the trunk lid) exactly. In different lighting, it looks anything from Sahara to Florida.

jIZeIuQ.jpg

GKrUJ2V.jpg

Edited by arminyack
  • Like 2

I don't trust under the trunk lid colors, simply due to fuel and exhaust vapors affecting it over time. car looks GREAT though! 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

6 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

When Vern was painted. New color was an exact match to the paint under the removed dash. Painted with Glasurit Single stage Verona 024.  

You were lucky. Back in 1987 I had my Touring repainted; it had no colour sticker, and BMW were as usefull as tits on a teddy bear. So, we matched it to the paint under the dash and got Jadegrün. Only after the internet was invented did I find out that no Tourings were produced in Jadegrün, it was Amazonsgrün!!!!

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I got lucky as well when trying to return the Baur to the original color. Underneath what appeared to be the original vinyl was undeniable Golf. 

After reaching out to BMW with the VIN, their records confirmed what we had found. 

I've seen multiple variations of this color but feel confident in the match. 

Pictured - The narrow area on the left side of the image is a piece that had been covered with vinyl since 1974. The larger panel next to it is a test of the 070 code. 

3ead07c848a1f5e54d50e1588cc254ef.jpg

Todd - '74 2002 Baur Targa 

8 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

My car is repainted and has a creamer look to it. Ironically when i buy touch up paint, it tends to be whiter than my respray color to i feel the OP problem.

14479545_10154840239346564_7620818157368647228_n.jpg

I actually went and got a good auto body supply shop make me up some rattle cans, they used the little machine to get a paint colour read, when they put the colour sheet on my car (the sheet has a hole in it for viewing) you couldn’t see where the colour sheet ended and the car started colour wise. It was remarkable. My car is the “warmer” Chamonix white.

Btw Steve, those bottle tops look nice on your car, funny how they seem to suit some better than others!?

Edited by SydneyTii

Hugo (my very early '72tii) is definitely more vanilla than pure white, and I wouldn't have it any other way!  Absolutely gorgeous color and I wasn't a fan until I restored Hugo..

• Like 2

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

4 hours ago, 02fanatic said:

Hugo (my very early '72tii) is definitely more vanilla than pure white, and I wouldn't have it any other way!  Absolutely gorgeous color and I wasn't a fan until I restored Hugo..

Will have to meet you someday....   I've seen pics of your cars but not in person. Do you drive them? I had my two cars in Pittsburgh recently.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 7/23/2018 at 11:01 AM, Stevenc22 said:

If you have a good paint that matches, then probably fix a whole area at a time. The nice thing is the Knee trim does a good job of creating separate areas so you dont have to paint a whole door just to fix one rust spot. If you dont have a good paint match, then you have no choice but to just try and touch up that one spot as best you can until you have $ for a respray.

I have no rust

Edited by Road trip

On 7/23/2018 at 4:09 PM, SydneyTii said:

Btw Steve, those bottle tops look nice on your car, funny how they seem to suit some better than others!?

Thanks. Yeah i feel bottle tops get a bad rap but i rather like them!

• Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

if you're looking at images on the web, you're wasting your time. too many factors influence what you see. I hope you're looking at chamonix painted cars in person. Also, many cars get resprayed in their lifetime, so matching colors can be difficult for the less talented and knowledgable. 

I had a '76 3.0si in original chamonix. it's a little warmer than alpine. to me, alpine looks cheap and cold. I would consider another chamonix painted Bimmer.

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

On 7/24/2018 at 2:41 AM, jgerock said:

Will have to meet you someday....   I've seen pics of your cars but not in person. Do you drive them? I had my two cars in Pittsburgh recently.

I don’t drive them enough, but I definitely smile wide when I do!  I have to move Hugo when I cut the grass to get the JD rider out....lol!  It starts up every time!  But it needs a good “drive”!

I would have loved to be at Pittsburgh for O’fest but that’s just too much effort for my old bones! ? 

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

• 2 years later...