• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of a Tii Roundie project?

SmoresTM

Hi all,

I’m posting here before I put anything in the classifieds because I’m not sure of value, but I have a Schwarz black 1971 Tii that I’m going to help sell. It’s going to be a project car for sure, so I’m struggling on figuring out what it’s realistically worth. VIN number is 2760216.

Pics below, thanks for your input.

924448b105204b2ece808b0217599798.jpg

6d09900756cc620eaf1ceaba02f9c86e.jpg

d943e5470423eca7b8844c6a76b1f2a3.jpg

816146eda311971d95ae7864cde75d20.jpg

2d02bf8b8a9544b56a814f929aa99ec0.jpg

7baa67b7374f98bc1ea0ca934a345e86.heic

63a7ceb042787e783edd201146e084b7.jpg

43b48d4c95b38877bfc67683cbae07e8.jpg

1b315f8b9c9aa304e7438ed7a17f8dbd.jpg

bb7b4e7042ca07f8bdf16514e1bbd19f.jpg

eb0cc2e8e4088de0af4eaf35ecdff7b1.heic

819576c2b4efcc3f359f387f0cbb3457.jpg

2421518dc5b261c9c8edea0c2b8d6d1f.jpg

76ff804b0aa8e7df6451d077eb8766c8.jpg

1a75b6acb3febcc3d0a8b8fbbb1a0341.jpg541d839b8afecbf2df9d6e63e8bdba9c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Sam

1976 Pastellblau Project

Im no expert- and a newbie in the grand scheme of things so take this for what it’s worth.

A basket case 72 tii with engine and injection system disassembled and rust galore just recently sold in MD for $2300 and he was asking $5,500. 

I looked at the car car it was a mess.

i have a cancer ridden 71 non-tii and the new parts I installed to get it reliably running are worth more then Trying to sell the car as a whole.   A painful reality. But it starts and runs great every time I turn the key.

Unfortunity,  Your friends car might be in that category as well. Timing is everything you may find a buyer who is not afraid of the cost and/or not afraid of a grinder and welding rig to do the rust repair in those wheel wells/shock towers.

glws - let me know what it sells for I’d be curious to know.

Best Dionk

Hey, it’s a round taillight tii, so it’s worth some $’s. It’s even a ‘72, the most...cherished. And it’s an early car: the 216th U.S. spec tii manufactured. And it might be a rare color.

(U.S. model years generally run from September to August. This car, although manufactured in December 1971, is a U.S. 1972 model. Only Euro-spec tii’s had some “1971” models.)

So, if you haven’t done so yet, please email the VIN to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) and request the car’s data. This brief, free report will show the car’s factory color. Yes, I see the Schwarz paint sticker. But: (a.) the car has clearly been re-painted (overspray everywhere), and (b.) the right inner fender also has a black-on-orange “Achtung - Original Parts” sticker. This sticker was not invented until the square taillight cars appeared for the 1974 model year. Did whoever added the Original Parts sticker also add a new paint sticker?

Second, does the engine have the same number as the car’s VIN, meaning, is it original to the car? Third, will the engine turn over, by hand? The intake manifold has sadly been left open to the air, mice, etc. Who knows what’s in there?

The interior actually looks quite complete and good.

So that leaves the biggest issue: rust. We can see the rear wheel housings are bad, but how bad are the rockers, floors, left front frame rail, and bases of the A pilars. If you pull out the rear seat, what do the floor and wheel housings look like?

The car looks restorable. Given its status as a 1972 tii — sky’s the limit with respect to value — it’s almost got to be worth $5K if it’s also numbers matching and the engine isn’t frozen. But higher is certainly quite possible. It depends on the rust...

Hey, it’s either got its original nosepiece, or a replacement, like my ‘73, from a tii!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hey, it’s a round taillight tii, so it’s worth some $’s. It’s even a ‘72, the most...cherished. And it’s an early car: the 216th U.S. spec tii manufactured. And it might be a rare color.

(U.S. model years generally run from September to August. This car, although manufactured in December 1971, is a U.S. 1972 model. Only Euro-spec tii’s had some “1971” models.)

So, if you haven’t done so yet, please email the VIN to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) and request the car’s data. This brief, free report will show the car’s factory color. Yes, I see the Schwarz paint sticker. But: (a.) the car has clearly been re-painted (overspray everywhere), and (b.) the right inner fender also has a black-on-orange “Achtung - Original Parts” sticker. This sticker was not invented until the square taillight cars appeared for the 1974 model year. Did whoever added the Original Parts sticker also add a new paint sticker?

Second, does the engine have the same number as the car’s VIN, meaning, is it original to the car? Third, will the engine turn over, by hand? The intake manifold has sadly been left open to the air, mice, etc. Who knows what’s in there?

The interior actually looks quite complete and good.

So that leaves the biggest issue: rust. We can see the rear wheel housings are bad, but how bad are the rockers, floors, left front frame rail, and bases of the A pilars. If you pull out the rear seat, what do the floor and wheel housings look like?

The car looks restorable. Given its status as a 1972 tii — sky’s the limit with respect to value — it’s almost got to be worth $5K minimum if it’s also numbers matching and the engine isn’t frozen. But higher is certainly quite possible. It depends on the rust...

Hey, it’s either got its original nosepiece, or a replacement, like my ‘73, from a tii!

Regards,

Steve

I received my response from them just a few moments ago. Looks like schwarz is not the original color, but it’s riviera. I’ll look at rust and check to see if the engine numbers match and report back.

Ignore the other VIN, that’s for my personal 2002 which I always thought was originally pastellblau. Learn something new every day!
bfdcfde3aa27c2e0011e7d21c1389dbc.png

-Sam

1976 Pastellblau Project

Body condition will determine if it's restorable or not. Like Steve says, the engine needs to be checked to see if it matches the VIN, and whether it can be rebuilt.

Not knowing anything else, it might only be good for parts.

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

Riviera is also a very desirable and (relatively) rare color. And a black interior is the default for U.S. Riviera cars. Numbers matching: excellent.  So it largely comes down to the rust. My concern, looking at the aft end of the rocker panels, is that the rear subframe mounts are surrounded by rust.

Any car is theoretically restorable, but you’ve really got to find the right buyer when lots of panels might need replacement or heavy piecing.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

15 minutes ago, SmoresTM said:

Would you mind linking me to that listing if you can?

It's in my "database".

It was on Ebay June 2006. Ebay Seller's ID was "newcourtauto" (I assume a Dealer), in Syracuse, NY. It sold for $4002 to Ebay Buyer ID "heske0725".

As stated in auction - has 0 miles on a rebuilt motor and has some rust but is solid.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Don't see it being worth more than $4K and that's optimistic after seeing the rockers and rear shock towers. Would be basically building a new car around the VIN plate at that rust level. 

Edited by adawil2002
  • Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Based on this picture and another showing the leading edge of the rocker panel (behind the front fender) it appears that the inner rockers are also rusted through.  The outer ones are cosmetic; the inner ones, structural.  The inner rear wheel arches are reparable.  A clever welder can effect a repair that's as strong as the original without having to replace the entire structure.  

A few (relatively) minor points:  dash is later, one piece, not the original.  It's hard to tell, but the bumpers may be from a '73--looks like the heavier front brackets (and definitely '73 bumper guards) and the rear bumper looks like it's moved away from the body a la the 73 cars.  Looks like the missing air cleaner and plastic runners are in the trunk.  Lots of small--and expensive--bits 'n pieces are either broken or missing, and some are NLA (license plate lights, for example); those things are gonna add up.  

If you can weld, and have a jones for a very early tii, it's definitely restorable.  But if you have to pay someone else to do the welding repairs, it's gonna be expennnnnnnnnnsive!

Someone save it!

mike

PS--AFAIK Schwartz wasn't a cataloged 02 color in 2002--at least not for the US market...

image.png.f1d99f44e85b576de5b12c63ce134b28.png

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, adawil2002 said:

Don't see it being worth more than $4K and that's optimistic after seeing the rockers and rear shock towers. Would be basically building a new car around the VIN plate at that rust level. 

+1

After seeing the rockers and the rear subframe mounts, that’s probably where I’m at: $4K.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv