• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of a Tii Roundie project?

SmoresTM

This was on CL earlier in the week. I contacted him as he is about 2 miles from me, wanted to do a drive by, but passed when I leaned about the title "issues" here in CA.

IIRC the ask was $8500. or some-such.

Title “issue” is that I sold it with a bill of sale only so that’s all he has. $8500 would be a good profit if he can get full asking price lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Sam

1976 Pastellblau Project

It's not difficult to title a car in CA if it's not already in the system.  Have buddy write you a bill of sale, get a VIN verification (easy) and go into the office and walk out with registration.  I've done it on more than one occasion.

DMV likes to make things difficult so you have to outsmart them.

Edited by \\\Mink

I was outbid on a set of “rebuilt” tii injectors from that eBay seller today. If they were included with this car when he bought it that explains his trouble finding the documentation or remembering who rebuilt them. 

They were. Funny, he sent me an email the other day asking about info on the injectors. Now I don’t feel so bad about not responding.

• Haha 1

-Sam

1976 Pastellblau Project

I don’t know. Someone buys a car that clearly needs thousands invested in it. I don’t believe anyone here will dispute that. But then they “discover” there is no title — which should be one of the questions one asks first. And then they have to sell it because getting a title is an enormous problem. It sounds like simple buyers remorse to me.

Can someone here put some numbers on getting a CA title for a car with only a bill of sale?  Is it a $500 problem, a $1,000 problem, or a $5,000 problem?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I don’t know. Someone buys a car that clearly needs thousands invested in it. I don’t believe anyone here will dispute that. But then they “discover” there is no title — which should be one of the questions one asks first. And then they have to sell it because getting a title is an enormous problem. It sounds like simple buyers remorse to me.  

Can someone here put some numbers on getting a CA title for a car with only a bill of sale?  Is it a $500 problem, a $1,000 problem, or a $5,000 problem?

Regards,

Steve

I don’t think it is buyers remorse. He hasn’t actually had the car more than a week or so and I did say that the car would come with only a bill of sale in one of my initial emails to him. Based on what little I know, getting a title in california isn’t that difficult or expensive. If he had a “proof of origin” (basically a signed letter from the previous owner to go along with the bill of sale which I said I would be happy to give him from the get go) it seems like it’s just a matter of going to your local AAA office and paying normal registration fees + whatever they charge which, based on my experience, is not a big deal. He’s also looking to make about $3500 off the car itself based on a CL ad for the car (after the cost to ship it to california) plus whatever he got for the rebuilt injectors and whatever else he’s parting out. I’m not mad about it at all. I work for a shop that flips cars all the time so I 100% get it and don’t hold it against him. I just hoped it was going to a home that would actually enjoy it and put the work in that a ‘71 production date TII deserves. In the end, it is what it is. Hopefully it ends up in a loving garage eventually.

-Sam

1976 Pastellblau Project

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

Regards,

Steve

As long as it's not currently in the system it's a piece of cake if you know what to do.  Even if you don't, you can hire a registration service to do it for you for a small fee.