• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear subframe mount sheetmetal - plan of attack?

theNomad

Thanks for the advice all. I zapped it together today. Sprayed Boeshield inside it to protect, then cut out the bad spots but leaving the spot welds to hold it together. I decided on a 1/4" overlap weld to make it easier to weld and to get the two corners tight. I also cut out the bolt hole and welded the patch on the perimeter, so should be plenty strong. Everything underneath looked solid and no issues, it was just this top skin that was eaten away.

20180731_102835.jpg

20180731_125719.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this forum and wealth of information. I know this post is old, however I figure to keep information related together versus starting a new post. 

I have similar issue as the thenomad post above. I have a several pin holes and a bad pitting area (circled in RED). 

I was wondering if I would be ok if I cut along the blue color line and replace this with a patch? My concern is if I cut there the rear subframe axle will move and damage my rear alignment or should I be ok and not worry... i will also rust treat everything prior to patching the whole. 

Any thoughts?

4387D6E3-9720-442F-8995-70F62E8EEDC3.jpeg

Edited by TicoCafe