• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Titled as a 1968 but, the vin says 1967 ?

Road trip

2 hours ago, Road trip said:

would you happen to know why the

Triangle cut outs ?

Just a guess, but I think to relieve pressure when you shut the door with the windows rolled up.  Remember the VW ads about how tight VW Beetles were--you really did have to crack a window a bit to keep from really slamming the door to make it shut properly.  

What actually happened was that those cutouts allowed fuel  and/or exhaust fumes to enter the passenger compartment if there was a loose fuel hose or worn trunk weatherstrip, so the factory quit doing it.  '02s were never that airtight anyway.

But that's all conjecture on my part...

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 7/25/2018 at 12:56 AM, mike said:

As I'm sure you know, you have the 363rd US spec 1600 off the assembly line, so it was probably built in early Sept 1967.  As Steve pointed out, while the factory classifies their car's manufacturing dates by calendar year, we here in the US do it by model year, which runs 1 Sept to 31 Aug (may vary slightly from state to state).  So to BMW it's a '67 (built in calendar year 1967).  To us it's a '68.  

BMW has a long habit--especially on '02s--of using up parts, even paint--which explains why I've seen a couple of Nevada '72 cars and Turkis '74s.  I'm sure that's why you have the metal summer/winter box that you pictured.  I'll even go out on a limb and say your air cleaner is painted black, not grey (black for 66 & 67 cars, grey for 68 and later, except '76).  If you look carefully you'll probably find other early parts (even an embossed hood trim piece).  Let us know what other early parts you find on your car.  Good for historical reference in the future.

mike

Yes to the embossed hood emblem

i also have 1/4 inch thick Perlon Carpet

8 hours ago, mike said:

Just a guess, but I think to relieve pressure when you shut the door with the windows rolled up.  Remember the VW ads about how tight VW Beetles were--you really did have to crack a window a bit to keep from really slamming the door to make it shut properly.  

What actually happened was that those cutouts allowed fuel  and/or exhaust fumes to enter the passenger compartment if there was a loose fuel hose or worn trunk weatherstrip, so the factory quit doing it.  '02s were never that airtight anyway.

But that's all conjecture on my part...

mike

Mike,

Your explanation makes sense, but covering the triangular cut-outs there were pieces of (almost) clear plastic, very similar to the liners between the door cards and the doors themselves. These covers were glued to the bulkhead but, like the door liners, were not airtight — if my ‘67 1600-2 was representative of the larger population.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 6 months later...
41 minutes ago, West Palm 2002 said:

Here I am 7 months later still putting her back together the metal summer/winter box

needs a new decal but, I’m having difficulty finding many ideas ?

https://car-bone.pl can probably reproduce one for you if you supply a good photo, dimensions & original text.

• Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

1 hour ago, West Palm 2002 said:

If I had a good one I would not need a reproduction 

John was trying to help you.....

picture you posted, is it your part or did you find it on the web?

Contact member mo02 here. He might be able to help you, but you need to come up with higher resolution picture and some basic measurements for him.

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

Surely there is someone here with an example of the sticker with more complete text that will help you.  Start a new thread mentioning the need for the metal airbox sticker info in the title.  Good luck!

• Like 2

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

4 hours ago, West Palm 2002 said:

Yes, I understand John was trying to help and I explained why I couldn’t do what he suggested.

i only posted here after exhausting all other searched.

If you haven't already tried him...…...try asking Anders over on the UK 02forum.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/154594-the-66-bible/?tab=comments#comment-987418

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17