• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 2002, 1973 fuel filter

Konstantin

Hi! Probably quite a strange question, and I'm sorry to ask it, but I can't find fuel filter in my 2002. I have a 2002 model, year 1973. I have never deal with cars by myself before but I was going to start from a simple thing as changing oil/filters. I did not have any problems with air filter and oil one, but I can't understand where is fuel filter unfortunately. I would appreciate if anyone can give ma an advice :)

Here  is some pictures with air filter housing dismantled. 

Thanks!

IMG_9649.jpg

IMG_9650.jpg

IMG_9651.jpg

IMG_9652.jpg

IMG_9653.jpg

IMG_9654.JPG

It appears the prior owner was goin' "Commando" with no filter before the pump! That's hard on motors. Your probably going to need a new one soon...

I kid....

Get a sharp blade and some quality hose clamps...  

Disconnect the  battery and get a towel to catch the gas mess'

Edited by iinca

You seem to be missing it. It goes before the fuel pump. Some will say between the fuel pump & the carb, but I prefer to get rid of any muck before it gets into the pump.

620607078_B06561d.thumb.jpg.c92e436322c6dd0ce04d6eb7d8af06d4.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Yes, I'v seen a lot of pictures/videos and all shown the same place as yours. But see my pictures, I do not have a filter on this tube...

Is it possible that previous owner have changed the tube and did not install filter..? I do not know 

IMG_9656.jpg

IMG_9657.JPG

36 minutes ago, iinca said:

It appears like the prior owner was goin' "Commando" with no filter before the pump! That's hard on motors. Your probably going to need a new one soon...

I kid....

Get a sharp blade and some quality hose clamps...  

Disconnect the  battery and get a towel to catch the gas mess'

Thanks, tomorrow I will do it. I hope it gonna run without a change of engine :)

2 hours ago, iinca said:

It appears like the prior owner was goin' "Commando" with no filter before the pump! That's hard on motors. Your probably going to need a new one soon...

Glad you hedged your observation by using the term: "appears."

We are all used to ubiquitous aftermarket filters, but they were - add-ons - and not original equipment..  My memory is a bit vague, but technically, there is some filtration in the system, albeit marginal.

First, there was a screen at the bottom of the fuel level float assembly - or fuel pickup - in the tank.  Next, there was a small filter that fit within the fuel pump (pn 13310680125) and - some carburetors had a small filter that fit at the entry of the carb or before the needle valve.  Regarding the latter, this may have only been on certain aftermarket Weber carburetors, rather than OEM Solex pictured in original post.  Of course injected models were equipped with internal fuel screens and typically had a metal filter designed to handle the additional fuel pressure.  Bottom line, filters are good, unless they are plugged, disintegrate or leak.  Not having an aftermarket fuel filter is hardly the end of the world, but conventional wisdom suggests they are a good idea, especially when fuel contamination is a likely problem or the associated vehicle is operated in Dakar, Baja Mexico or maybe even Phoenix.  Similar advice applies to air filtration. :)

post-40443-0-17571200-1442316543.jpg

IMG_1125alt-s.jpg

37022_weber_dgav_dgev_dgv_fuel_filter_dr

WEB37022010dia.gifdiag_f8x.png

Alternative style mechanical pump with different style internal filter.

Uh oh

8132435227_6ea7825dd4_b.jpg

Edited by avoirdupois

My '73 came new from the dealer without a fuel filter in the engine compartment. RealOEM says there is one within the pump, cleanable if you take off the top cap (loosen the center screw).  But converting to a Weber 32/36, the carb inlet was larger diameter than the fuel line from the car or from the original fuel pump and the VW fuel filter (as you show) was an easy way to go from 6mm to 8mm fuel line.  Actually, by the time I installed the Weber I already had a Facet electric fuel pump mounted just behind the fuel tank in the trunk so the mechanical fuel pump was simply a spare I carried under the rear seat (in a cardboard box).  Between the Facet pump and the inlet from the tank I used an inline fuel filter (like  Fram G2) to make sure the pump diaphragm did not encounter bits that were too large to flow.

Note that BMW has a mesh fuel filter on the bottom of the in-tank fuel gauge sender (if your tank is rusty inside it will get plugged up).  A tii uses a replaceable filter on the bottom of the in-tank fuel pickup, part #16121106983; I do not know if it will work for the non-tii fuel gauge sender.

Good luck!  I had a very frustrating fuel flow problem once that starved the engine; replacing/cleaning all 3 in-line fuel filters (including the one in my Weber; the OEM Solex had none) was the solution.

Larry

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

4 minutes ago, layers said:

My '73 came new from the dealer without a fuel filter in the engine compartment. RealOEM says there is one within the pump, cleanable if you take off the top cap (loosen the center screw).  But converting to a Weber 32/36, the carb inlet was larger diameter than the fuel line from the car or from the original fuel pump and the VW fuel filter (as you show) was an easy way to go from 6mm to 8mm fuel line.  Actually, by the time I installed the Weber I already had a Facet electric fuel pump mounted just behind the fuel tank in the trunk so the mechanical fuel pump was simply a spare I carried under the rear seat (in a cardboard box).  Between the Facet pump and the inlet from the tank I used an inline fuel filter (like  Fram G2) to make sure the pump diaphragm did not encounter bits that were too large to flow.

Note that BMW has a mesh fuel filter on the bottom of the in-tank fuel gauge sender (if your tank is rusty inside it will get plugged up).  A tii uses a replaceable filter on the bottom of the in-tank fuel pickup, part #16121106983; I do not know if it will work for the non-tii fuel gauge sender.

Good luck!  I had a very frustrating fuel flow problem once that starved the engine; replacing/cleaning all 3 in-line fuel filters (including the one in my Weber; the OEM Solex had none) was the solution.

Larry

Thanks a lot for explanation. At least I know that it is not something that was done by previous owner :)

9 minutes ago, avoirdupois said:

Glad you hedged your observation by using the term: "appears."

We are all used to ubiquitous aftermarket filters, but they were - add-ons - and not original equipment..  My memory is a bit vague, but technically, there is some filtration in the system, albeit marginal.

First, there was a screen at the bottom of the fuel level float assembly - or fuel pickup - in the tank.  Next, there was a small filter that fit within the fuel pump (pn 13310680125) and - some carburetors had a small filter that fit at the entry of the carb or before the needle valve.  Regarding the latter, this may have only been on certain aftermarket Weber carburetors, rather than OEM Solex pictured in original post.  Of course injected models were equipped with internal fuel screens and typically had a metal filter designed to handle the additional fuel pressure.  Bottom line, filters are good, unless they are plugged, disintegrate or leak.  Not having an aftermarket fuel filter is hardly the end of the world, but conventional wisdom suggests they are a good idea, especially when fuel contamination is a likely problem or the associated vehicle is operated in Dakar, Baja Mexico or maybe even Phoenix.  Similar advice applies to air filtration. :)

post-40443-0-17571200-1442316543.jpg

IMG_1125alt-s.jpg

37022_weber_dgav_dgev_dgv_fuel_filter_dr

WEB37022010dia.gifdiag_f8x.png   I there are actually filter

thank you! 

On 8/4/2018 at 10:03 AM, Konstantin said:

Here  is some pictures with air filter housing dismantled. 

Interesting smog control on that Euro model, looks like a thermal reactor connection from the exhaust header to the intake manifold with a vacuum controlled check valve, but no smog pump or EGR Valve or filter.  The 2 barrel Solex carb still has its throttle dashpot and fuel return valve intact, most are long gone with Weber carb conversions in the States.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

3 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

Interesting smog control on that Euro model, looks like a thermal reactor connection from the exhaust header to the intake manifold with a vacuum controlled check valve, but no smog pump or EGR Valve or filter.  The 2 barrel Solex carb still has its throttle dashpot and fuel return valve intact, most are long gone with Weber carb conversions in the States.

Mark92131

I don't see where this is said to be a "Euro model." 

The North American version of the '73 model had an exhaust gas recirculation system that did indeed have plumbing between the intake manifold to the exhaust, exactly as pictured.  The so-called filter was hung out-of-sight under the exhaust manifold and the EGR valve is clearly visible just behind the fan.  There was no thermal reactor as found on the '75 model nor air pump as found on some pre '73 models.

IMG_9657.JPG.bb060a13d0b58193d8fc3f13f2a

diag_f7e.png

On 8/7/2018 at 4:51 PM, avoirdupois said:

I don't see where this is said to be a "Euro model." 

He didn't buy that battery at Pepboys :-).  But yes, you are correct, the 73 model emission diagram describes this configuration for cars without air pumps, the "EGR" valve #14 is described as a "Diaphragm Valve" is found in the same position as the Check (Non-return) Valve on cars with air pumps and the "EGR" filter #6 is described as a "Cyclone Filter", not visible in the pictures.  This configuration was radically different from 72 cars with the 1 barrel Solex carbs and I am assuming was designed in conjunction with the introduction of the 2 barrel Solex carb.  Did this change occur at the beginning of the model year (October 72) or did it phase in as they ran out of 1 barrel Solex carbs?

Mark92131

Edited by Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)