• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real oem shows wrong car for my vin ?

Road trip

RealOEM can only provide month and year back to 1974-ish.

If you email your VIN to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) and request their data on your car, they will provide, within a few business days and at no cost, the precise manufacturing date.

In the meantime, the VIN decoder operated by the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia can provide an accurate, but non-specific, date range for your car.

https://www.bmwclasicos.com/servicios.php#Como

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 minutes ago, Conserv said:

RealOEM can only provide month and year back to 1974-ish.

If you email your VIN to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) and request their data on your car, they will provide, within a few business days and at no cost, the precise manufacturing date.

In the meantime, the VIN decoder operated by the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia can provide an accurate, but non-specific, date range for your car.

https://www.bmwclasicos.com/servicios.php#Como

Regards,

Steve

Thanks for your reply but, I need specific diagrams to confirm assemblies 

19 minutes ago, Road trip said:

Thanks for your reply but, I need specific diagrams to confirm assemblies 

Then you don’t enter your car’s VIN at all (in RealOEM). You enter “Classic” and the data you need, e.g., “Car” as Product, “1502-2002tii” as Series, “Sedan” as Body, “1602” as Model, “USA” as Market, “09/1967” as Production Month, “M10” as Engine.

Then you can “Browse Parts”.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Thanks 1

Just to clarify: real oem has some great info and diagrams, but it is NOT the be-all, end-all of parts information. There are huge gaps within the data, missing illustrations, and flat-out incorrect application information, with regard to the older cars. 

I'll use it for lots of things, but I rely on my old orange BMW parts books (paper ones from 1978 or so) and the white reissued parts books from the early 2000s, for anything tricky or specific. I was a professional vintage BMW parts guy for 11 years, back in the 1990s-mid 2000s… so I'm a little jaded. :)

We called ourselves "fiche jockeys' if that puts things in to perspective. 

If you have specific questions regarding proper / correct parts assemblies and applications, feel free to ask / PM me. I'll do my best to help out. I love getting my geek in full swing mode.

• Like 5

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

6 minutes ago, wegweiser said:

Just to clarify: real oem has some great info and diagrams, but it is NOT the be-all, end-all of parts information. There are huge gaps within the data, missing illustrations, and flat-out incorrect application information, with regard to the older cars. 

I'll use it for lots of things, but I rely on my old orange BMW parts books (paper ones from 1978 or so) and the white reissued parts books from the early 2000s, for anything tricky or specific. I was a professional vintage BMW parts guy for 11 years, back in the 1990s-mid 2000s… so I'm a little jaded. :)

If you have specific questions regarding proper / correct parts assemblies and applications, feel free to ask / PM me. I'll do my best to help out. I love getting my geek in full swing mode.

Paul - I have two well-worn orange books purchased from another FAQ'r.  Dated 1976.  Most diagrams are dated 10/75.

Edited by jgerock
  • Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

16 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Then you don’t enter your car’s VIN at all (in RealOEM). You enter “Classic” and the data you need, e.g., “Car” as Product, “1502-2002tii” as Series, “Sedan” as Body, “1602” as Model, “USA” as Market, “09/1967” as Production Month, “M10” as Engine.

Then you can “Browse Parts”.

Regards,

Steve

And as I was saying ?, most importantly, take Paul up on his amazingly generous offer!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Does this item, that is described as a "page-for-page reprint of the book that BMW dealership parts & service departments used to order parts" come close to being equal to the orange parts book?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-1976-BMW-Parts-Book-2002-1602-1802-1502-Part-Catalog-2-Volume-Set-Ti-Tii/362307583604?hash=item545b36fe74%3Ag%3ALu0AAOSwtuBa56Ei&_sacat=0&_nkw=bmw+2002+parts+book&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

It's yellow, not orange, but the description and date range look good.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

2 hours ago, JerryC said:

Does this item, that is described as a "page-for-page reprint of the book that BMW dealership parts & service departments used to order parts" come close to being equal to the orange parts book?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-1976-BMW-Parts-Book-2002-1602-1802-1502-Part-Catalog-2-Volume-Set-Ti-Tii/362307583604?hash=item545b36fe74%3Ag%3ALu0AAOSwtuBa56Ei&_sacat=0&_nkw=bmw+2002+parts+book&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

It's yellow, not orange, but the description and date range look good.

Then there's this - http://www.2002tii.org/kb/55

The Original BMW Parts Catalog 1502-2002tii - After many years only in hard copy, we are now releasing the BMW Mobile Tradition Original Parts Catalog. This document is all of the original parts microfiche converted to paper document, which BMW published originally back in the 80s. With Mobile Tradition’s permission, we have been authorized as the primary distribution of this document.

Why would you need this document? This contains photographic and textual specifications on every part of the car as it was stored originally. For example, it contains more information on bolt sizes and length, dimensions than BMW has produced in later electronic versions. It shows diagrams of many many parts no longer available.

If you are performing a restoration or doing any repairs yourself, this in conjunction with the factory shop manuals will be invaluable for not only ordering, but exact reassembly of the parts themselves. Learn this book!

This file requires Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or higher to view and print out.

The completed document is over 1,700 pages.

Warning – This file is 78.29 megabytes and may take a long time to download to your computer.

• Thanks 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

11 hours ago, wegweiser said:

I'll use it for lots of things, but I rely on my old orange BMW parts books (paper ones from 1978 or so) and the white reissued parts books from the early 2000s, for anything tricky or specific. I was a professional vintage BMW parts guy for 11 years, back in the 1990s-mid 2000s… so I'm a little jaded.

I set you a on with pics

13 hours ago, wegweiser said:

Heck, Paul, back when I was a parts guy (early 70s) we didn't have fiches--just hand-written parts scrolls--on papyrus ?

mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Back in the early 80s I used to like going to the dealer and watching them hunt the fische. (fisching?)

I'd just tell them higher or lower or other corner to get them in the ballpatk. Sometimes they'd just turn the viewer around and tell me to find the part number.

They'd then go check the parts bin and were amazed to find they had the obscure parts like the little chrome ball on the window latch.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

6 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Back in the early 80s I used to like going to the dealer and watching them hunt the fische. (fisching?)

I'd just tell them higher or lower or other corner to get them in the ballpatk. Sometimes they'd just turn the viewer around and tell me to find the part number.

They'd then go check the parts bin and were amazed to find they had the obscure parts like the little chrome ball on the window latch.

I loved going to auto parts places. The dealerships with their microfiche and the standard places with the row of catalogs all held together.  Did some parts chasing at Heishmann Porsche Audi and several local VW dealerships back in the '80's.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"