• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-heater setup: should it stay or should it go?

MattL

My recently-acquired '76 has the pre-heater snorkel thingamajig. Today I picked up a used Weber 38/38 to clean up and hopefully install to replace the existing 32/36, along with the required manifold modifications. I'm wondering if it would make sense to uninstall the pre-heater at the same time. I don't have plans to drive the car in weather cold enough to warrant it: quite the opposite. Plus, nothing beats the sound of a carb with nothing but an air filter atop it. Thoughts? Advice?

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

It's called a summer-winter box (the piece connecting to the snorkel). In my opinion, keep it. I'm no purist, but if it is in the summer position (latched) it will pull cold air from outside the engine bay instead of the 150+ degree engine bay air. Cooler air means denser air which means more performance!

• Like 3

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

It all depends on where you live...

...the relative humidity plays a large factor in whether you need it or not.

Carbs can ice at 50f with enough water in the air.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for the feedback. I had thought about the CAI aspect of the snorkel, but figured the added restrictiveness vs an un-housed filter might make it a wash. Of course, that’s informed by gut only: no calculations. I hadn’t known about the possibility of icing up to 50 degrees. I live in NJ: pretty damn humid. 

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs