• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Smog Equipment Needed

1976_2002

I am not a California resident!

But there are a number of California residents on this forum who believe a ‘76 49-state version — although not originally saleable in the California market — can pass CA emissions, provided it has the full complement of its original 49-state emissions controls. Why? It is not clear that California recognizes — or recalls — that there were two U.S. versions in 1976. If these other forum members are correct, it would allow you to forego the worst and most complex of the ‘76 California version’s components, the thermal reactor exhaust manifold.

There are quite a few threads in this forum on CA emissions for ‘76’s, both California and 49-state versions.

Just a thought....

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks Steve for the reply. 

I was aware there were two versions (California and 49 state).  Are you saying the 49 state may pass in California, provided the 49 state has all the components?

I just signed up for this forum so where should I go to find further topics on this subject.

Thanks again,

Hank

1 hour ago, 1976_2002 said:

....Are you saying the 49 state may pass in California, provided the 49 state has all the components?...

That’s exactly what I’m saying. It would at least pass the visual inspection — for a 49-state version. Then you’re on to actual emissions testing, where the engine’s condition and tune are probably more consequential than a thermal reactor exhaust manifold 42 years after leaving the factory. Otherwise, you’re trying to make a California version out of a 49-state version, which it never was. You’d have to even, I suppose, replace the 49-state emissions schematic with a California version.

I’d use the search function, with a string such as “California emissions” or “CA emissions” (under “Everywhere” or Google) and start reading....

Regards,

Steve

On 8/13/2018 at 10:46 PM, 1976_2002 said:

Thanks again Steve.  I'm missing some components according to the 49 state diagram.  I was not successful in locating some items so figured I'd try the California route, since the car resides here.  Came from Florida.

Hank

In 2011-12, when I was having my ‘76’s mechanicals restored, virtually all the hoses for the air pump remained available from BMW, as did a few other emissions do-dads, such as the one-way valve. So check RealOEM.com and someone such as Steve Peterson of Blunttech (forum member: BLUNT) for what remains available.

New diverter (a.k.a., “gulp”) valves were not available from BMW, but there were a number of California-based firms that specialize in used (and, presumably, working) examples of emissions equipment for old cars requiring emissions inspections.  I found a diverter valve through one of these firms. The air pumps themselves were a Delco item, a unit that was also used on some GM cars of the late ‘60’s / early ‘70’s. I believe that remanufactured examples of these are fairly plentiful.

If I recall correctly, it was thus not difficult to re-fresh the 49-state emissions on my ‘76, at least not in 2011-12.

Forum members are ripping this stuff off their cars daily: keep up with this forum’s classified ads and eBay and you can find anything you’ll need.

Regards,

Steve

AA554D7B-75C8-4B4F-B533-5465EFAA83BF.jpeg

180A6664-3228-4A0A-BD89-1D4B7FE328F4.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

On 8/14/2018 at 6:53 PM, 1976_2002 said:

...even in California'.  I'm convinced the state just doesn't want old cars around.

This couldn't be more true, although the air resource board will make statements to the effect of poor air quality and pollution, yet when compared to the number of actual "old" cars and the miles they get driven hardly even comes close to the gross particulate pollution generated by the amount of diesel exhaust generated by the ships in the ports and over-the-road trucking. The other thing is money to the state. CA reduces the amount of tax and fees on a vehicle as it ages. Thus the older it is the less you have to pay.  

As I always say,  2 Million Californian's are holding the other 32 Million CA residents hostage. 

But what do I know. 

BTW: Hank if you know what you need as far as SMOG stuff, I have all the parts from two CA cars which might help out. The only thing is I have one gulp valve known to work and I am keeping it. Everything else is up for grabs. PM me if you want to discuss. 

Don't liter! 

chief.png

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

• 3 weeks later...

Hank, it really depends on how conscientious your smog tech is.  There are some who are paranoid of losing their license as well as their dyno for not performing the check correctly or negligently.  The BAR sends out representatives with vehicles that have violations to check on smog stations at random to keep them honest. The violations vary, but they are simply checking to make sure that honest techs stay honest.  I have been turned down at a couple of smog test stations because they said they did not know a BMW 2002tii well enough to be sure what smog equipment is supposed to be present and I assume they feared I was a representative of the BAR.  This was back when 74 model year cars still had to be tested.  Everybody should know that despite a car being smog exempt it is STILL required to have the original emissions equipment present! Heaven forbid if the state ever runs into a windfall of money they can have roadside inspections or even the method they have experimented with involving a trip hose across the road, emissions meters along side the road, and cameras to photograph your license plate, which would allow them to get an emissions reading on your vehicle then send you a letter asking you to come to an authorized smog inspection station because your car exceeded the emissions limits. Most 75-76 models have to be run lean to pass the emissions test, especially if you have installed a Weber replacement carburetor.  I have tuned several for people that failed the emissions test prior to my work on their vehicle.  After they passed, then they fattened up the mixture to restore power and throttle response ; )        shermanmartinez at Hotmail dot com