• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about electrical connector

Mars55

Hey all - I'm replacing wiring in my 1600 and the new (old) loom has a few connectors like the one pictured.

This one is in the trunk and I don't know what connects to it. What are these connectors used for? Any reason to disconnect them ( and if so, how?)

Thanks

IMG_20180814_163212766.jpg

I don’t recognise that ‘double male’ connector though. That would be used to extend the wiring.

Changed license plate locations? Trailer wiring?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

If your car is a "late" model with trunk side markers, and the location is on the side of the car, then that is the connector, which is generally on the same circuit as the license plate lights.

The flat blade is specific to that connector in that it has tangs that hold it in to the plastic sleeve..

My 68 doesn't have the side markers, etc but the harness is from perhaps a later 1600 that did, which is why I didn't recognize it. I assume I'll leave it disconnected.

I was wondering if these junction blocks can be pulled apart to clean. Each wire appears to have a barb that holds in the block. There are two other such blocks in my car: a 3-way in the engine and a 5 way under the dash.

I'm in Chicago, btw.

Thanks for the help!

Yes you can; while the proper tool is best, a thin flat blade jewelers screwdriver will work. be careful to re bend the tang before re inserting.

As far as the others, do they have wires associated with them?

There might / should also be another with a black wire that ends up right about where the brake master cylinder is. That is 12+Volt  hot when the key is on and is part of / tied into the starter.

Come to think of it,  there should also be one on the white wire off the headlight circuit, which is for fog lights or city lights.

4 hours ago, Mars55 said:

My 68 doesn't have the side markers, etc but the harness is from perhaps a later 1600 that did, which is why I didn't recognize it. I assume I'll leave it disconnected.

I was wondering if these junction blocks can be pulled apart to clean. Each wire appears to have a barb that holds in the block. There are two other such blocks in my car: a 3-way in the engine and a 5 way under the dash.

I'm in Chicago, btw.

Thanks for the help!

I use my small jewelry ultrasonic cleaner for these types of parts, along with a wet QTip.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

2 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

Any chance that loom came from a touring?  White-red would then be the power for the rear luggage area light!

You may have a point, but, then it should be in a loom with another wire that goes to the hatch door switch.

DSCN2787crsm.JPG.2f55c580e58e21ef77197bddbcd53136.JPG

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17