• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door seals

Emyers

All, considering replacing the door seals on my 02. Not been much chatter reference the fit of the URO brand lately.  Does anyone know if the rubber formulation has ever been changed as was put forward by the

Sales rep some time back as a fix for the issues regarding fit?  The current items on the car are the original BMW seals purchased eons ago and with the exception of the trailing edge of the gasket on the window glass,

is in pretty good condition. If I could get something to replace that stretch of gasket that would work and not look untoward I would consider that route.  Just thought I would ask the group...lots of experience out there!

Thanks!

Earl

DSCN2554.jpg

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

15 hours ago, Emyers said:

with the exception of the trailing edge of the gasket on the window glass,

is in pretty good condition.

This is usually the only section of the door gasket that goes bad--there's $$$ to be made for someone who's willing and able to reproduce this one piece.  The whole gasket is made up of several different pieces glued together--including the trailing edge window seal, so it could be supplied as a separate part...hint, hint...

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I had bought URO door seals several years ago ahead of my Touring refurb. I ran into the "bad fit" problems like others.

I ended up re-using my old door seals over the window and toward the front (they were in pretty good shape), and used the UROs down the B-pillar. Worked out great.

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

16 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Have the URO seals in our 73 and it takes a serious slam to shut the doors.  The URO seals are almost a 1/2" thicker and more firm.   Bought a set of used OE seals and will install them instead. 

Same here. I started shaving them down a bit in the extra tight spaces, and am otherwise hoping they'll at least soften up over time to make closing the doors easier.

After 2-3 years with URO brand door seals mine have definitely softened, I may have also become a little numb to them but I can close my doors now with more of just a latch click as opposed to a whack window rattler!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dave R.

1975 Inka 2002a

I know nothing about URO door deals first hand. But even OEM door seals have their....inconsistencies. My ‘76, at its recent re-paint, got a pair of OEM door seals I purchased in 1983, when I believed all new ‘02 parts would become extinct before I got around to the Big Re-Paint. The left seal operates like the ‘76’s original factory seal: beautifully. But the right seal takes a very firm hand to latch the door completely. Their installations look similar, and they were still in matched plastic bags from BMW when I pulled them from storage, but the right seal looks a tad thicker.

I think your odds of a good fit are better with OEM seals, but there are no guarantees where door seals are concerned. I put NOS Ford OEM door seals on the ‘61 F-350. Curiously, the left side works beautifully but the right side takes a very firm hand!  ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I appreciate all who replied to my post.  I have purchased some seals from a FAQ member that were lightly used.  I will try the full install first and if that does not work out, I will graft the good trailing edge (B Pillar) on my current seals that are serviceable minus the B pillar as suggested by 02Les.

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, URO Parts Support said:

Hi Emyers, we've been redesigning these seals over the last year and should have the new version available mid-to-late 2019.  The old version works, but there was certainly room for improvement - stay tuned!

That’s great news. Can I respectfully ask that the new design If differentiated some how ( different SKU?) from the old ones just so it is clear which ones we are buying. 

Thank you

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Earl, Ray is good at putting on door seals, ask him for help.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Had cardiac bypass surgery ,triple bypass, two weeks ago and  just getting back to the computer .  Don, Ray eats too much ice cream.

• Like 3

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

Yes, yes he does.

GET WELL!!!!!

• Like 1

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007