• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing relay or switch under hood

rewilfert

5 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

@rewilfert, that's a 3-terminal connector and is certainly NOT for a relay.  What it looks like to me is the connector for the external regulator for the alternator.  I suspect someone swapped out the stock alternator for an internally regulated one.  See if there's blue, black, and brown wires going to it and that will confirm.  If you do have an internally regulated alternator, it makes 14V-15V while running, and the 'L' light on your dash works, then it was installed correctly and you don't need to worry about this connector; all is well!

I went back out today and looked more closely at everything.  It appears that the plug had just been pushed into the area next to the 3 existing relays.  I looked at the wire colors on the connector and this is what I found:

I- terminal is Brown

D+ terminal is Blue (x3)

DF terminal is Black

This matches up with the wires to the voltage regulator on the wiring diagram.  This car has a newer alternator with an internal regulator.  I traced all 3 wires from the plug to the connected (and cut) wires at the alternator.  So, mystery solved.

Where would the voltage regulator have been mounted?  There is a spot on the inner fender just forward of the 3 relays where something was previously mounted with 2 screws (second picture).  The plug also reaches that location perfectly.

43274780245_2308344333_c.jpg2018-08-21 13.01.29 by rewilfert, on Flickr

42372539530_24709049d4_c.jpg2018-08-21 13.02.20 by rewilfert, on Flickr

Edited by rewilfert

1976 2002 primer/rust - SOLD

The component to the right of the 4 relays — it has yellow tape around its body — is the original regulator.

Your car has two abandoned screw holes where the original regulator attached to the inner fender.

Regards,

Steve

30182A06-BFEB-43F7-8947-23A9B41AC4AF.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I might as well jack this thread since the situation was resolved.
My high beams work when the lever is pulled back (as in to blink the high beams) but when you push the lever forward to turn the high beams on they don't turn on at all. Does this sound like a bad relay or high beam switch?
My instincts tell me switch but it would be convenient if it was the relay.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bibm5 said:

I might as well jack this thread since the situation was resolved.
My high beams work when the lever is pulled back (as in to blink the high beams) but when you push the lever forward to turn the high beams on they don't turn on at all. Does this sound like a bad relay or high beam switch?
My instincts tell me switch but it would be convenient if it was the relay.
Thanks in advance!

If the relay works for the momentary light flash, it should work for the full on. It will be the switch (or the wiring to the switch). 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

7 hours ago, Bibm5 said:

when you push the lever forward to turn the high beams on they don't turn on at all. Does this sound like a bad relay or high beam

High Beam is up not forward??

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

This is what I was thinking. I'll dig into it once I get time. I was just hoping for an easy fix.

If the relay works for the momentary light flash, it should work for the full on. It will be the switch (or the wiring to the switch). 

2 hours ago, Bibm5 said:

Hmm, up position is right turn signal on my car.

Later ('74 & on) had the high beam forward & "flash" pull back & down/up for the turn indicators. I have the same problem with my high beams on the Touring. I put in another switch and still have the problem. I gave up.

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17