• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

German “Do It Youself” book for four cylinder models.

bluehills2002

Never seen that one before, and if an English translation had been made available through BMW dealers, I would have remembered it.  Hoffman's letter reproduced above is dated two weeks before I took delivery on my '69.  

I'm checking with the National CCA office to see if they're interested in reprinting the original 1976 book (with the 1979 updates), and if not, would they give approval for having it reprinted. 

I have an original copy that I bought around 1981; there are a lot of topics in the book that are either no longer valid or of interest (like installing CB radios) or are for companies or services that no longer exist.  And about 30% of the topics are for models other than 2002s...but there are a lot of useful topics in the book.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

“Under no circumstances, should Shop Manuals be sold to private individuals...”

I suppose I sort-of knew that, but to see it in unambiguous writing still surprises me. The Shop Manual is the keys to the kingdom.... ?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi,

I have an oil smeared copy, you could get them in flea markets and used book stores for nothing. Gert Hack's book on tuning is a far better read..."Jetzt mache ich ihn schneller" (Now I will make it faster) was the bible in the late sixties and included a section on BMWs. It's all known, then it was all new and owners who couldn't afford Alpina had a source of information. 

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

I wouldn't mind helping out translate also if we can get a full copy of the German version!  While Google translate has gotten pretty decent in recent years, it still has a tendency to do an awfully literal word-for-word translation, especially with technical writing.  So while it'll almost always get the gist across, a whole lot of actual intent, tone, and what I'd term 'sensible syntax' will always be lacking when it comes to computer translation.  So if you want full meaning as originally intended, a real person translation is always better.  Doch zwischen ich und @backeis koennen wir eingentlich etwa interessantes schaffen!

• Like 1

So you will need two translations: one from German to Google and one from Google to English. I could hop in also if required.

There are computer programs that can read texts out of a .jpg file?? And who's the man to scan?

The prices for these two books from Dieter Korp vary roughly around 20€ depending on the condition. They include a lot of technical information about the entire car but also lots of tips for cleaning and general car stuff.

This one:

sowerschneller.jpg.87ab9f781cb9d95d5e1d934968354d33.jpg

is more expensive -especially in good condition- since it tells you how to get the car faster. Camshafts, pistons and of course double sidedrafts and the best engine tuning is described. Nothing about bodywork, interior or elec tricks.

hen