• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOS '69 Parts Wanted, tune up and grill trim for Concours

Doc928

A place such as the King of Trim, in L.A., can restore the original grilles, as they do very fine (and, admittedly, expensive) bright-dip anodization, that will get you very close to the original finish. They will repair dents and scrapes. And...the exposed anodized aluminum on all three grilles will match perfectly. If you find three NOS grilles, left, right, and center, you’ll likely find that some are brighter and some are duller due to (a.) batch to batch differences, (b.) varying storage conditions, (c.) age differences, e.g., 50 versus 1 year old, and (d.) different manufacturers or manufacturing methods.

A 1969 2002, however, presents a conundrum with respect to the front side grilles — if absolute authenticity is high on your list. The 1968, 1969, and, at minimum, early 1970 2002 side grilles had their seven black slats painted. This was an inexpensive way for BMW to provide the distinctive 2002 — as opposed to 1600-2 — look. Bad idea. The paint chipped and flaked off the anodized aluminum, like crazy. We touched up and re-painted the grilles, so it could quickly happen again. ? During or at the end of the 1970 model year, however, BMW arrived at their “black anodized slat cover” solution, which replaced the painting. Good idea.

By the by, factory OEM side grilles (“deep grilles,” as would be correct for a 1969) remained available until very recently. Thus, some “NOS” side grilles could be very close to “BSN” (brand spanking new). ?

No one asked me, but I’m pretty...”originality-focused”, and I would probably opt to use the later black anodized slat covers if I were restoring a 1968 through 1970 2002, and intended to drive the car with some regularity. If yours has but 15K documented miles, I recognize that regular driving may or may not be part of the plan...

Rather than use black anodized slat covers, or black paint, some owners have used black tape, black wrap, and, no doubt, other materials, to simulate the appearance of the original black-painted slats.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)