• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to Obtain Sahara Paint??

borgpj

OK, the 1973 is off to the painter.  After months of bodywork, he is ready to shoot on the color coat.  His supplier states that Sahara (06) is no longer available.  Does anyone know if that is true or not?  If you can recommend another supplier and/or brand, that would be very helpful.  I really wanted to stick with the original factory color.

IMG_7983.JPG

IMG_7984.JPG

Bring the paint shop something with the original paint on it and have them do a custom match and give you the formula.  I don't trust modern paints mixed to the original codes - they never seem to be exactly right.  The last 3 cars I've painted I had a custom match done and the color was spot on. 

• Like 1

I can see the shop trying to CYA. They don't want to just paint it and then have some persnickety old car owner saying the color is wrong. +1 with matching a body panel, inside, that hasn't been exposed to the elements. 

The color will be brighter/darker/different than what you are used to seeing. It is fresh paint. My M3 was just resprayed. It is taking me a while to get used to the shade of Henna, but I know it is right as we matched the underside of the trunk lid.

20180414_105335.jpg

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I would consider using Kutzoh's painter or his formula for Glasurit Sahara (06).  That shade of Sahara looks spot on.  I agree with ///Mink, some of the modern paint manufacturers are slightly off with their formulas for our cars.  I had a particularly hard time getting a factory match for Mintgrun on my 1975 using the paint manufacturers formula and ended up having the car repainted (first photo too milky, second photo after color match).  If you can color match an original piece of the car that hasn't been exposed to the elements or aged, that would be ideal.  Hopefully the painter will spray out some test panels (https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Sample-Panels-Powder-Coating/dp/B00I0AL24A) for you to see before spraying the whole car.

Mark92131

2015-10-08 14.12.21.jpg

2017-01-06 16.22.20.jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Since its a full respray who cares if the modern shade is slightly off. Just have a batch mixed up and paint away. And if you ever need more paint, you know who mixed it and they can mix you a new batch any time.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

...which will be slightly different from what's on your car. 

I agree, exactly matching paint color is an art, which is why

I pay a GOOD shop for the few cars I have that I care about a match on.

Anything that's not mixed to match isn't going to, berzactly...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

3 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

who cares if the modern shade is slightly off

I for one would care, it would drive me crazy.  Especially after spending months of prep work to get the body right for a new paint job in an original color.  I had a very nice 75 Polaris car that was repainted in a slightly different shade of silver.  I thought I could live with it, but every time I would see it, it would make me feel sad or disappointed.  I finally had to sell it to get rid of the feeling.  I also have a compulsion to straighten pictures when I enter a room, not my best character trait.  Seeing cars in their original factory colors makes me happy.

Mark92131

IMG_0845.JPG

• Like 4

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)