• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BaT 1972 Tii

NYNick

53000 miles? 

That's a lot of missed drives and fond memories. I hope it actually has a broken speedo, or better yet, has rolled over a couple of times.

It does help values.

• Like 2

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

8 hours ago, NYNick said:

Can't believe nobody posted this yet. Well sold!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-2002tii-20/

I posted this car on the FAQ classifieds a few months back...It was on craigslist.  The seller PM'd me to delete the ad on the FAQ so he could post it on BAT...

1974 2002 Verona & 1973 2002 Riviera

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L PSD Wife's

13 hours ago, fastricky said:

From the comments on BAT there was some shill bidding going on to drive the price up. I didn't think that car commanded that sort of money so that made sense to me...

Never saw these comments. I watched the last 10 minutes and it was exciting.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

I don't have a horse in this race, but I just went through the entire bid history for this auction and there is not a single instance of the same bidder bidding over his previous bid.  This claim comes up quite a bit on BaT auctions, but it always turns out that it is a browser or network connection irregularity on the part of the person making the claim and never an actual case of the same bidder twice in a row.  I know that shill bidding is still possible even outside of a single bidder bumping his previous high bid, but I don't see any evidence of it with this auction.  I think multiple people just really wanted this car, and one just wanted it a bit more than the others, and these bidders weren't concerned with spending over what is considered the current market value.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, fastricky said:

Read the comments on the auction page, the same bidder bid multiple times back to back (so he bid over his previous bid).

I didn't see that  when I watched the auction, all had counter bids.

The two highest bidders both had zero bids before that auction, I don't see that as a big deal.

One person complained about the clock resetting after a bid,but he was a newbie.

I can't see it as  a 68k 02,but then I'm a cheap ass.

• Like 1

Someone posted on the comments about the shill bid and included an image demonstrating that, and it got removed since... anywho, I don't think the purchase price on that car is out of line for a well sorted tii whatsoever, but it ain't that car.

Edited by fastricky

That post with image wasn't reality, but a browser/network irregularity for that user so it just demonstrated a glitch in their own setup.  Similarly, people complain all the time that they are prevented from bidding during the last few seconds of an auction and therefore lose out on a car they are interested in, which again always turns out to be related to their own setup and also shows why it is dumb to wait until the last few seconds to try to place a bid because of that risk.  Since BaT doesn't allow "sniping", it makes no sense as a bidding strategy anyway.

I would be very surprised if BaT auctions even allowed the same person to up their own high bid.  If it did really happen, there would be lots of people seeing it and claiming it.  Instead it is people with unusual and poor setups regarding their browser and network connectivity for following the auctions who make the claims.  I can understand BaT deleting those posts as well since the integrity of the auctions are at the core of their very successful business.  Again, I do suspect there is sometimes shill bidding going on with BaT just like other auction websites and live auctions and there is nothing BaT can do to 100% prevent that beyond mitigating it by banning sellers and bidders when they discover it.  But, it's never going to be something as obvious as the same bidder bumping his own high bid on BaT.