• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspension parts list ?

Road trip

If your car hasn't had the suspension bushings replaced in 15-20 years, I recommend buying a kit like offered from Blunt Tech.  Cars that were restored in the 90's and early 2000's (like my tii) will soon need some attention.

New mounting hardware kits are available from Walloth Nesch in Germany.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I did this (twice) within the last 5 years. I did go to the trouble of putting together a list of part numbers (twice, because i didn't learn the first time) so i could cross reference the parts and shop pricing across vendors. I'm 700 miles away from home, but even if i was there i don't think i have the list anymore.

The lesson I learned was that BluntTech's kit was the most cost effective option - even before factoring in the time you waste shopping bushings across multiple sites. Unless you want a complete part number list for laughs/curiosity/whatever, Save yourself the hassle and just buy from Blunt.

• Like 1

Also agree with going for Blunt. Unless you are an idiot like me and hunt and pecked for parts/bargains online at multiple sites. Getting a minority of parts with some questionable quality, but also getting some real bargains. It was fun for me, but I am not normal...?

Blunt is a great resource and it is much easier to talk to Steve and get what you need. 

Cheers! 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

One more thought...unless you're gonna do a lot of tracking--or just like a hard, stiff ride, stick with the factory rubber suspension bushings--except for the swaybar mounts and end links.  Since the swaybar only comes into play while cornering, you won't get ride harshness from Urethane swaybar bushings.  What you will get is faster swaybar action, as Urethane has much less compliance than rubber, so the swaybar will start doing its job almost immediately, instead of the end link rubber having to compress before the swaybar starts to work.  

And a +1 on Blunt for a nice, complete kit.  My rear suspension bushings need a little love:  they're original at 263k miles and 45 years!  Winter project.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Blunttech is great to deal with.

If you are going this deep on a project, build a relationship with a vendor. You being loyal will usually pay off with being able to ask advice and benefit from their wealth of experience. Saves you from buying unneeded parts or doing a job twice.

As was said, educate yourself by spending an evening or two on the RealOEM site. If anything, the pictures give you an idea of how everything goes together. 

• Like 1

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

6 hours ago, mike said:

One more thought...unless you're gonna do a lot of tracking--or just like a hard, stiff ride, stick with the factory rubber suspension bushings--except for the swaybar mounts and end links.  Since the swaybar only comes into play while cornering, you won't get ride harshness from Urethane swaybar bushings.  What you will get is faster swaybar action, as Urethane has much less compliance than rubber, so the swaybar will start doing its job almost immediately, instead of the end link rubber having to compress before the swaybar starts to work.  

And a +1 on Blunt for a nice, complete kit.  My rear suspension bushings need a little love:  they're original at 263k miles and 45 years!  Winter project.

mike

Certainly hope your car doesn't look like my 69 when I bought it.

IMG_7088.jpg

DSC_1227.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

17 hours ago, jgerock said:

Certainly hope your car doesn't look like my 69 when I bought it.

Actually mine looked like brand new when I bought it--'cause it was.  But that was 49 years ago.  It has had new rear subframe mounts installed since then; I'm just not sure if trailing arm bushings were replaced at the same time.  Rear subframe had to be replaced after it rusted through and collapsed (fortunately while it was stored for the summer!)

But all the rear suspension bushings and mounts are original on my '73...time for replacements!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite