• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 vin problem?

SoKvlt

Hey, so I went on the realoem site and looked up my car that I'm restorings vin. From what I know the car is a late 71 or early 72' 2002 base but when I search up the vin it shows up as a 87' 318i. Just not sure if this should be a cause for concern or if this is more of a common occurance. 

The vin is 2578448

If anyone can help me with some insight into this it would really be appreciated.

72' 2002 Granada (Painted Malaga??) 3rd owner 

11 minutes ago, SoKvlt said:

... when I search up the vin it shows up as a 87' 318i. Just not sure if this should be a cause for concern or if this is more of a common occurance. 

The vin is 2578448

Common "rookie" mistake.  Use the BMW Club Colombia VIN translator:

https://www.bmwclasicos.com/en/services.php

Better yet, contact BMW in Germany via email to get original exterior color & build date.  That email address is posted here weekly.

V.I.N.    2578448
Modelo    BMW 2002
Región    USA
Versión    (LHD) Volante a la izquierda
Transmisión    Mecánico
Carrocería    E10
Generación    Modelo 71-73
Año    1971
Producción    abr-71 - dic-71

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

The plate above the vin seems to say granada, looks like it was repainted to malaga though. However the trunk interior and engine bay are still painted in granada. 

20180901_105919.jpg

As well. I seem to be having some troubles identifying the rims on the car. Just trying to get some info so I can get some references to restore them appropriately. 

Edit: never mind they're cosmics

Screenshot_20180901-122410_Messages.jpg

Edited by SoKvlt

1 hour ago, wkohler said:

RealOEM does recognize some 7-digit VINs such as those from E12 but for anything ‘02, E3 or E9 related they come up as E30s.  

RealOEM.com recognizes 7-digit VIN’s beginning with 1974 vehicles — for which it can provide the month and year of manufacture.

Regardless, given that BMW Archives quickly and freely provides their data, including a specific manufacturing date and the factory exterior color, there’s no reason to not request that date — it will take 20 seconds of your time!

Regards,

Steve

OOPS:  Les noted this already.  It does U.S. 1974 model tii’s, too, so it might do any models from 1974 onward.

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

7 hours ago, SoKvlt said:

As well. I seem to be having some troubles identifying the rims on the car. Just trying to get some info so I can get some references to restore them appropriately. 

Edit: never mind they're cosmics

Cool.  those Cosmics are extremely popular in the vintage VW world.