• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking advice on interior work

Laura

I'm working on the interior, and have run into two snags:

1.  My new carpet is molded-to-fit, and fits great, but still needs some trimming and hole-cutting for screws and such.  I've tried using a box-cutter and scissors, but neither seem to cut through the carpet fabric and plastic very well.  I was thinking of trying a hot-knife.  Any suggestions?

2.  After vinyl-dyeing my seats, some un-cured epoxy spilled on them.  It's been about 9 months, and the epoxy is still sticky.  What can I use to remove it, without damaging the plastic of the seat too much?

Thanks!

uncured epoxy will never harden and anything that you use to remove it will also remove your dye...i'd suggess lacquer thinner to clean the entire section the re-dying

i use regular scissors to cut the type carpet used for your moulded set...careful with anything hot, you'll melt anything the heat touches or get very close to

ya, I figured I'd have to re-dye, wasn't worried about that.  Just didnt want to melt or damage the plastic vinyl of the seats.   I already tried regular scissors, they wouldn't cut through.   Bought a hot-knife today, will update if that works.  Thanks for all the help!

Edited by Laura
  • Like 1

If you can mark the position of the holes with some accuracy, and then remove the carpet, you can punch the holes with a hole punch for leather.

After doing a few sets, I have found this is the easiest way to get a perfect hole. Put a piece of wood under the carpet where you'll punch the hole. You can get a Chinese set for around $5~$6.

994876216_HolePunch.thumb.jpg.740e3ad65ddc7dddf60e9fe6ebb9e8ff.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17