• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting nervous, should I hoard?

Vicleonardo1

So, finding some things are getting popular, more expensive and getting a bit hard to find. 

Have an opportunity to buy a couple of Getrag 245's in a very questionable state of function. One is admittedly a bit trashed. Not even sure if both could be made into one functioning transmission.  I already have a 245 that is installed and running in my rig. Should I grab these as possible donors or just take a risk that my transmission will run for years and outlive me. 

I know that there is no absolutely correct answer here, but just wondering if I should jump at the opportunity (if the price becomes reasonable..currently it isn't). If you have a 245, do you worry about the future availability of parts? 

Engine: There are a few complete and running M10's available as well from Early 80's E21's at a pretty good price as well, should I grab one for future needs? or just hope nothing major goes out on my current car. 

Just food for thought. But I would love to see different opinions on what others would be concerned about in terms of parts, future availability and needs. 

Thank you for any feedback. 

Cheers everyone. 

• Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

If it was me I'd buy the trannys if you can get a good price on them, as for the engines if they can be had cheap I'd save the heads anyway m10 blocks are about as stout as can be and seldom need replacing due to catastrophic failure, offer them up here first and if no takers sell them for scrap. 

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Decent storage. Beautiful wife...

The current car is an indirect hand me down from her father. A gift to her brother, now passed on to our family. The car is more precious to her than yours truly.  So I have some latitude here as long as I don't compromise her shoe/handbag budget....?

• Like 3

If you are not driving the hell out of your car, (like Ray does) no need for either the engine or trans with decent maintenance.

• Haha 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

12 minutes ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Decent storage. Beautiful wife...

Jeez, somebody won the car-guy lottery.

As mentioned, I'd hoard heads and the transmission.  Maybe the 2.oL cranks as well (if they were cherry).  A stripped/cleaned/inspected/pressure-tested head on the shelf is a beautiful thing.

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 2

Thank you Andrew. Food for thought. Maybe I should look into digging up a head or two. 

There is a extremely nice clean, inspected  NOS head available near me, but asking price is way too many shoes and bags....

Asking price is about $2000. I could buy many M10's for that....

What's in your wallet? 

The gurus at MidAmerica have this conversation every year.  The following are becoming harder to find in usable condition.

245/5s,

3.91 LSDs,

and now add 2.0L cranks to the list as Andrew says above... good ones are becoming harder to source per engine builder, Terry Sayther here in Austin.

Uncracked heads are always good to keep for trading purposes.

My $0.02....

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

1 hour ago, jimk said:

If you are not driving the hell out of your car, (like Ray does) no need for either the engine or trans with decent maintenance.

Are you suggesting my crap is going to break? Again? 

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

50 minutes ago, halboyles said:

New E12 heads are still available for half that:  https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW__2002tii/Cylinder-Head/43763865/11129061432.html

I knew it was definitely overpriced.  Hmm, at least I know what I can counter offer...

Definitely scarf up O/D 5 speeds--E21 donors are getting hard to find without astronomical mileage. 

A subset of 2 liter cranks:  the six bolt variety used on US '02s with VINs below 1665200.  They also used a different flywheel, pressure plate and throwout bearing.  The pressure plates were hard to find ten years ago:  the NOS one I found had a 1981 date on the box!  Fortunately for us early car owners, an 8 bolt crank, with the proper flywheel, pressure plate and T/O bearing will pop right into our early blocks.  

Now early pistons for 121 heads...that's another story.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite