• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting nervous, should I hoard?

Vicleonardo1

10 minutes ago, mike said:

Now early pistons for 121 heads...that's another story.

Or, is it? The benefits of custom pistons....

From mild (9.5:1 C/R 4032 alloy) to a bit of wild (12.6:1 C/R 2618 alloy)

16 minutes ago, mike said:

Definitely scarf up O/D 5 speeds--E21 donors are getting hard to find without astronomical mileage. 

Agreed. I’ve got a handful with various questionable parts, future plan is to combine into a couple of good units.

pistons-121.thumb.jpg.4a2e13058403f15b927353ed154ee75e.jpg

121-piston-dome-1.thumb.jpg.8272b3a145c2b4bfda771465ee879ca6.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mike said:

Now early pistons for 121 heads...that's another story.

Or, is it? The benefits of custom pistons....

From mild (9.5:1 C/R 4032 alloy) to a bit of wild (12.6:1 C/R 2618 alloy)

16 minutes ago, mike said:

Definitely scarf up O/D 5 speeds--E21 donors are getting hard to find without astronomical mileage. 

Agreed. I’ve got a handful with various questionable parts, future plan is to combine into a couple of good units.

pistons-121.thumb.jpg.4a2e13058403f15b927353ed154ee75e.jpg

121-piston-dome-1.thumb.jpg.8272b3a145c2b4bfda771465ee879ca6.jpg

My name is Steve and I’m a hoarder.

But....first, my hoarding is strongly correlated to pricing. For example — and not implying or suggesting that I’ll be switching to an overdrive 5-speed in the foreseeable future — two questionable 245/5’s for $400? Sure. But two questionable 245/5’s for $1,400? Not happening.

And....second, I prioritize by my perceived future needs. For example, an aluminum head will probably always have possibilities of cracking and warping. An un-cracked, full-thickness head is, thus, a good thing. But at my age, do I need two spare heads? Probably not.

Lastly....rims. Ignore everything I said in the previous two paragraphs! ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Not interested in overpaying for some spare parts in the least. But  It seems by the time some of these parts are NLA and announced here, it is too late. (Damn should have bought Amazon stock a year ago). And when it comes time to need them, the $1500 for a couple of junk 245's may be a bargain (not doing that by the way) . or I'm SOL  and its sell the car for parts....

Now you guys got me freaking out about cranks and heads.....

Cheers!. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

8 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Decent storage, beautiful wife...

This adds more variables to the Time/Money algorithm.

However, I  did notice in which order you placed the two.

Excellent point. (Never thinking that stating I have a beautiful wife would get me in trouble) and In order to maintain all my body parts...

I was replying to the statements in the order they were presented....

• Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

4 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Not interested in overpaying for some spare parts in the least. But  It seems by the time some of these parts are NLA and announced here, it is too late. (Damn should have bought Amazon stock a year ago). And when it comes time to need them, the $1500 for a couple of junk 245's may be a bargain (not doing that by the way) . or I'm SOL  and its sell the car for parts....

Now you guys got me freaking out about cranks and heads.....

Cheers!. 

Relax,

These are not Gullwings or Ferrari’s, built in tiny numbers. Didn’t they build like 800,000 of them worldwide, plus spare parts for 50 years?

When I took my ‘76 out of daily driver service in 1983, I went to the dealer and bought lots of parts, because I was certain parts would disappear ten years after production ended. I was wrong.  Thirty-five years later, I can still probably buy 95% of those parts new.

The parts are out there. And will remain out there for years.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I pull every 320i five speed I come across at the wreckers assuming they don't want stupid money. I try to keep a head on the shelf as well. I also part cars, so I tend to have a stock of things.... Anyone need some factory strut tubes??!? I have three pair!!

• Like 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

bumpers, stock seats, body trim and dashboards. 

....and a spare 245/5 just in case

I don't have a hot wife. Hell I don't even have a wife. Back when I could attract a hot wife I foolishly opted for 'car hobby' and 'surf bum' on the life options list

Edited by iinca
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know- there are plenty of S2000's running around...

And I'm still thinking the 1.6T that BMW used in the RWD applications in Europe (in the Mini S here in the States) could be mega.

Oh, yeah- I'm not so stuck on originality, so I have a few more options...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

I always like the idea of keeping spare parts. I had a spare diff, and a spare 4 speed, and ended up needing both. Now I had a spare rebuilt motor just in case the original in my car needs to be pulled for any reason. As I upgrade suspension and other aspects of the car, I always keep the old parts. My shocks may have been blown (on all four corners, yikes) but now I have a spare set of strut housings and spindles just in case.  I'd like to find another diff and 4-speed as a backup plan again because that worked well for me in the past, but I don't feel the need to start hoarding. With as many cars made as there were and with such a cult like community I feel as though if someone was in dire need of something, one of us would dig into our garage to help out if we were able. I can't confidently say that about many other car communities. 

• Like 5

-Sam

1976 Pastellblau Project

Well, this board and others are a good source of parts because people are hanging onto parts that they are willing to sell or trade, and BMW's support of their old cars could go away at anytime, I don't see that happening but with a company reorganization it sure could. I've owned and worked on 02's since 1972 and remember fondly the 1990's when you could find a running car for 500 bucks and parts cars were free to 300-400 bucks and here in the PNW the supply seemed to be endless but those days are long gone  

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

14 hours ago, irdave said:

I don't know- there are plenty of S2000's running around...

And I'm still thinking the 1.6T that BMW used in the RWD applications in Europe (in the Mini S here in the States) could be mega.

Oh, yeah- I'm not so stuck on originality, so I have a few more options...

From what I understand it's basically the same engine that was in a neon, but smaller. So I'll pass ?

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2