• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: driver door for 71 car

djminkin

The doors are interchangeable from 1966 through 1977. U.S.-spec cars from 1974 through 1976 have an additional (hidden) crash reinforcing beam, but that doesn’t preclude their use in pre-1974 cars. I mention this because the number of solid square taillight doors exceeds the number of solid round taillight doors. And the knee moulding, which began in April 1971, is no big deal. If the door doesn’t have holes and you need them, drill them. If the door has the holes and you don’t need them, fill them

Good luck,

Steve

• Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, djminkin said:

I understand that. The mirror needs to be moved and belt trim is needed but why not just buy the correct door if I can?

They all originally had the same belt trim, from 1966 through 1976 (the 1502 omitted the belt trim). And the mirrors were only in a different place — at the leading edge of the driver’s door — from March 1966 through September (maybe October) 1967. So, yes, if you find a 1966 or 1967 door, you will have to move the mirror. But you probably won’t find a solid 1966 or 1967 door....

My point is, yes, of course, you should buy an April thorough August 1971 door (1971 models manufactured from September 1970 through March 1971 have no knee trim), if you find one in good condition. But you’re probably looking at well under 5% of the salvaged door inventory.... ?

I’m pretty nutty about originality, but I would choose the least rusty, least repaired example available — regardless of year — if I were looking for a used replacement door.... 

OK. I’ll shut up now! ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, andyleonard said:

67 1600 door latches on both the door itself and on the body door shut do not mate with 2002 doors and vice versa. To put an early 1600 door on a 2002 you will be cutting and fabricating. FWIW.

Hmmm. Are you saying the aperture & fixing locations in the door for the latch are different for the '67 1600? The parts book only shows a different door for the 1600 & 2002 Cabrios.

I thought you could remove the "unique" 1600 latch from the door, and fit the 2002 latch right in without modification.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I want to say yes but I'm sleeping off a new knee and can't get out there. I WILL say as a factoid that the latch bit you need on the car body can be found on a 2002 or E21 and bolted to the 67 1600 body - if you leave one bolt out - so you can use a 2002 door and latch. I've done that  couple of times. I'll check.