• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Turbo steering wheel

wkohler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link.  That’s actually a ‘77 E21 sport wheel that is being misrepresented as a Turbo one.  There was a proper one on eBay in Germany but the seller refused to ship to the US (not uncommon) and by the time I lined someone up to buy it and send it to me it had sold.  

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

45 minutes ago, wkohler said:

Thanks for the link.  That’s actually a ‘77 E21 sport wheel that is being misrepresented as a Turbo one.  There was a proper one on eBay in Germany but the seller refused to ship to the US (not uncommon) and by the time I lined someone up to buy it and send it to me it had sold.  

That Ebay one does not look like an E21 wheel.

It does look like a Turbo wheel (see pic below of Turbo wheel).

559098916_TurboWheel.jpg.092759ef3e129e9c7b69ad6c69fd0776.jpg

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

You’re not picking up on subtle differences and it’s not obvious when looking at the wheel straight on. I bought a wheel in 2008 at night in a parking lot.  I didn’t know the differences at the time but I did by the time I got home.  Fortunately that wheel wasn't Turbo priced.  There’s a reason why neither of the listings with these “turbo” wheels show the back of the hub.  

F44660D7-B63F-4BF6-A4C0-79C98B85C9C6.jpeg

Edited by wkohler

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

First photo is the back of a Turbo wheel and the second one is the back of the E21 wheel I showed earlier.  The hubs are of different construction.  Sure the slip ring from the E21 wheel can be added to the Turbo wheel (though you’ll notice there is currently no provision for the screws that affix it) and the horn contact can be adapted to the E21 wheel but they are different.  

Back on the front of the wheel, The horn button itself on the Turbo wheel is about half the depth of the E21 and it has a slightly smoother radius to the outer edge. Also the plastic cover over the Turbo hub has a single step versus two steps on the E21.  All subtle differences but different enough for them to not be the same.  

I absolutely appreciate the link to the ad and all other leads, I want to make that clear.  I just think this and the €900 “lightly used” wheel in Spain are being misrepresented.  I spent quite a bit of time researching this stuff back when I bought a misrepresented Turbo wheel 10 years ago and now that I’ve actually been in the market for one I’ve gone over it all again ad nauseum.  These early E21 wheels are pretty uncommon and their existence is often overlooked allowing them to be pretty easily confused for an authentic Turbo wheel.  

A40F276C-77D1-4D13-9617-499DF15EA277.jpeg

F4287838-E58D-4CEB-9B52-7CD52900655B.jpeg

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, wkohler said:

FWIW, this is an E21 320is wheel

DSCN3250crsm.JPG.e77ca336b22a603e03923cc95dbdce21.JPG

Yours looks like a Turbo wheel attached to an E21 hub....If that's even possible!

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

That’s correct.  Yes it is an E21 sport wheel used on the 320iS from ‘80-‘83.  There were two sport wheels available for the E21.  The one you have pictured and the one shown on my workbench and in the eBay ad linked earlier in the post.  The latter was optional on ‘77 E21 models.

You can easily change the wheel to another hub that will work on an E21 since he Turbo wheel is separate from the hub and is screwed to it.  Just a matter of getting a hub suitable for a Petri wheel and an E21.  On the E21 sport wheels, the wheel is actually swaged onto the hub using a second set of holes instead of the standard Petri pattern.  

• Like 1

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo