• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This showed up as stolen on Craigslist

Pierre

Anyone here recognize it?  Does it belong to somone here?

https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d/1976-bmw-2002-sunroof-is/6692822921.html

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

The original ad for that car....the one by the guy trying to sell it, not this ad that says it’s stolen, has been on Craigslist for awhile.  It could be stolen or it could be someone who wants to buy the car and posted that ad saying it’s stolen to scare off other people who may want to buy the car as well.  It’s Craigslist...I would look at the car and the paperwork myself if I was interested and make my own decision on it.  It’s pretty common to have errors with titles, registrations, etc...it is the DMV after all who processes the paperwork.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Strange one this. Odd that whilst claiming it is stolen, the price for sale is still there.

The 4 pics of the car are from the Seller's Oct '16 Craigslist ad, and the later May '17 Ebay auction.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Yeah.  I would call the police or post more info.   Flag the ad.  Lots of things you could do rather than post an ad saying it’s stolen.  It’s odd.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

When the Craig’s List poster stated that the car will not pass smog, he/she completely undermined their credibility in my view.

That’s like a Wanted poster that says, “Wanted, for Murder, and for an outstanding parking ticket!”

Obviously, one needs to tread carefully around this car.... ?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, dang said:

It could also be read as... the guy had the car but couldn't get it to pass smog to get a title issued into his name.  The current "owner" was able to get a title in his name without smogging the car?  Who knows...

I thought that too but if you run the plate through the CA smog website, you can see the last time it was smogged was in May of 2016 and it passed.  There no failed tests since that time.  That does mean however that the registration is at least 6 months past due since it would have been due again in early 2018.