• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Light doesn't come on

Periwinkle

Pull the connection from the oil pressure switch at the back of the head and ground it directly. The oil lamp should then come on. If not, you have a fault in the wiring. If it does come on then I would suspect the oil pressure switch or even its connection to ground (through the thread).

Can I ask how you ‘know’ that the lamp is OK?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Those oil pressure switches do fail--and sometimes when they do, they burst and you'll lose your oil in less than a minute at highway speeds.  Cheap replacement--and a good excuse to add a proper oil pressure gauge. 

When your SNOP (acronym for "Sorry, no oil pressure) light illuminates (at 7 psi), you've already messed up your engine!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite