• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

nice tii on eBay!

ray_

Lovely!!! That's one of my favorite color combinations, E46 steel grey and red leather. What a fantastic looking car, I think the only thing I'd change is to dye the doorpanels to black, it's just a bit too much of a good thing IMO. Other than that and a 5 speed.... I'm in love.

• Like 1

Looks to be VIN 2761003, probably a very early February 1972 car. Seconding Jim’s point, I believe the seller’s “Tii fuel injected motor” means “not the original engine, but one from another tii”. But let’s be honest: originality is not what a buyer of this car is seeking.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Weirdly enough I kind of like it.  I agree re the red door panels - maybe too much of a good thing.  

I need a car w a 5 speed to thrash back and forth on these longer trips.  That’s all this needs.  I might go the turbo-looks wheels or something...I’m not a huge fan of those wheels...I mean they are nice but not my cup of tea.  Now that I think of it, they kind of go with the whole design, though.  Hmm.  

I did not catch that it didn’t have the orig engine.  Good catch on that, guys.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

42 minutes ago, saaron said:

....I did not catch that it didn’t have the orig engine.  Good catch on that, guys.  

Just to be clear, Scott, we don’t yet know whether the engine is original to the car or not, but both Jim G. and I have our suspicions it is not.

This car has strayed so far from stock I can’t imagine why a buyer would care whether the engine was original or not! ?

Best regards,

Steve

I never understood this setup for mounting the battery in the trunk.  Yes, I understand the benefit of moving the weight to the rear (though unless you are shaving a couple of tenths off your track time it really doesn't make a difference in all honesty).  What I don't get is that the rear shock towers are a weak point for rust and ruin on these cars, so why in the world would you intentionally drill holes in that area?  Perhaps I'm ignorant, but it really seems like a bad idea to me.  

44009318404_ea53fce243_b.jpg

• Like 4

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

14 minutes ago, 73tiiDavidPA said:

What I don't get is that the rear shock towers are a weak point for rust and ruin on these cars, so why in the world would you intentionally drill holes in that area?  Perhaps I'm ignorant, but it really seems like a bad idea to me. 

Seems like they would at least make a clamp-style mount instead of requiring holes.

Edited by dang

3 minutes ago, 73tiiDavidPA said:

I never understood this setup for mounting the battery in the trunk.  Yes, I understand the benefit of moving the weight to the rear (though unless you are shaving a couple of tenths off your track time it really doesn't make a difference in all honesty).  What I don't get is that the rear shock towers are a weak point for rust and ruin on these cars, so why in the world would you intentionally drill holes in that area?  Perhaps I'm ignorant, but it really seems like a bad idea to me.  

44009318404_ea53fce243_b.jpg

David,

It frees up some space in a very crowded corner of the engine compartment. For instance, I believe you can thereafter remove the alternator from the top.

I believe the argument that moving 35 lbs from the left front corner to the center rear can measurably improve handling on a 2002 is a bunch of bunk. And I’m ignoring the 5 additional pounds of wiring you need to run and the needless weight of the “shock tower brace” in one of the car’s strongest areas. There....I said it: bunk! ?

Move your battery because you want to free up the engine compartment. Don’t do it for performance. Did I mention the bunk? ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Conserv said:

It frees up some space in a very crowded corner of the engine compartment.

Agree about the space.  I can hardly get my battery in and out, and it does hamper doing any work in that area of the engine bay.  

12 minutes ago, Conserv said:

measurably improve handling on a 2002 is a bunch of bunk.

Yes, I agree, bunk.  Putting less fuel into your tank would be a much greater benefit.  

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

3 hours ago, 02Les said:

If that's 2761003, then I believe it was Bill Williams' Pickachu2, Dakar yellow tii.

Wow.  Really?

Same car as this?  I find that hard to believe since Bill poured lots of hard work and $$ into this car.

DSC_0484.jpg

DSC_0477.jpg

Edited by jgerock
  • Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"