• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bimmer_b
Go to solution Solved by Tommy,

On 7/1/2021 at 3:23 PM, bimmer_b said:

What does everyone usually use for vapor barrier? 

I buy a roll of plastic drop cloth from a big box store and cut to size.  Adhere to door using 3M strip caulk.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

5 hours ago, jgerock said:

I buy a roll of plastic drop cloth from a big box store and cut to size.  Adhere to door using 3M strip caulk.

I use spray adhesive/contact cement in the 2002.  Ana - I'm sure you've dealt with the failure of the butyl caulk with the vapor barriers for E36, E39, E46, etc.!

Edited by John_in_VA
  • Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

3 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

I use spray adhesive/contact cement in the 2002.  Ana - I'm sure you've dealt with the failure of the butyl caulk with the vapor barriers for E36, e39, E46, etc.!

+1 on spray adhesive

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

4 hours ago, 0257 said:

+1 on spray adhesive

I used 3M Strip-Calk.

Mostly because I had it.

;-)

It's removeable, ya know?

:P

• Thanks 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

On 7/7/2021 at 3:34 AM, bimmer_b said:

Thanks! I can't wait until I have the lower trims on and the outside will be complete. Debating whether to put the bumper on or leave it off and get an air dam, I really like the Ireland Engineering one. 

Oh definitely put the bumper on, you have the euro type right by the look of your front panel?

Did I miss what you are doing for front seats? Sorry looked through the thread but can’t find anything, bit distracted watching England in the euros?

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

I used 3M Strip-Calk.

Mostly because I had it.

;-)

It's removeable, ya know?

:P

Except from your hands.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

On 7/7/2021 at 5:39 PM, SydneyTii said:

Oh definitely put the bumper on, you have the euro type right by the look of your front panel?

Did I miss what you are doing for front seats? Sorry looked through the thread but can’t find anything, bit distracted watching England in the euros?

The seats I will probably just have reupholstered, I used to have E21 seats but ex took them so decided to keep it stock. Although eventually I may do something else.  

Edited by bimmer_b
  • Like 1

Ana B. 

Check out my 2002tii restoration :D 

More random BMW/2002Tii Posts ? https://www.instagram.com/bimmer_b/

• 3 weeks later...

Brief update, I figured out my wiper motor issue (I guess my dad had just bolted the linkage on at any random spot) so when I finally got them to work the linkage was in the wrong spot and forcing the arms against the cowl and overheating the motor which I didn't know what going on. So I fixed the linkage position and they are working properly now. I had ordered now rocker panel trims and tried for hours to get them on and I think they are warped a bit so I gave up for now. Also, I found out I needed some pieces that go behind them and ordered those. I still have to get the doors drilled for the mirrors so I am taking the car to D&V masters to get that done as well as the other holes drilled that the previous bodyshop accidentally filled for the other front fender trims and I'm hoping they can also just installed the rocker panel trims while its there so it's one less thing I have to deal with. Also got new seatbelts from @bluedevils, thanks for the recommendation @jgerock and all the helpful pictures you've sent me. 

Edited by bimmer_b
  • Like 1

Ana B. 

• 4 weeks later...

Put the front bumper on the other night which was a little more difficult than I expected, but mostly because I just had a bag that said front bumper hardware an most of it was not right so I had to go get the correct hardware. Then I also found the front calipers were seizing so I ordered new ones. I have also decided that due to having no time to get everything done or being able to do a proper test drive before the Vintage I won't be going this year and will wait until the car is more complete to take down next year. I will be taking it to the Speed and Style show in Alexandria next month though. 

239433106_1208959852917066_1902063485234068051_n.jpg

• Like 2

Ana B. 

2 hours ago, bimmer_b said:

Put the front bumper on the other night which was a little more difficult than I expected, but mostly because I just had a bag that said front bumper hardware an most of it was not right so I had to go get the correct hardware. Then I also found the front calipers were seizing so I ordered new ones. I have also decided that due to having no time to get everything done or being able to do a proper test drive before the Vintage I won't be going this year and will wait until the car is more complete to take down next year. I will be taking it to the Speed and Style show in Alexandria next month though. 

239433106_1208959852917066_1902063485234068051_n.jpg

That looks great Ana! Take your time as once it is sorted out well it will give you many years of reliable driving. You'll need that for the road trip back to Carbondale! 

• Like 1

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

6 minutes ago, landon said:

That looks great Ana! Take your time as once it is sorted out well it will give you many years of reliable driving. You'll need that for the road trip back to Carbondale! 

Thanks! Every time I drive it now I am so nervous something might break haha, but it seems to be running well right now. Does puff out a bit of smoke on start up but I can deal with that once I get everything else together. 

Ana B. 

1 hour ago, bimmer_b said:

Does puff out a bit of smoke on start up but I can deal with that once I get everything else together. 

That's merely an endearing feature.

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.