• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bimmer_b
Go to solution Solved by Tommy,

For some reason on BMW's of our era exhausts collect a lot of condensation and steam a bit on warm up, you need to determine if it oil smoke or a bit of steam, the first one you can do something about the second not so muck. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

On 8/21/2021 at 11:32 PM, SydneyTii said:

If it’s oil, do you get a puff when you lift you’re  foot off of the gas after accelerating?

if you do it may be valve stem oil sills…. Not a terrible job.

I figured its valve seals, only happens on start up. 

• Like 1

Ana B. 

Check out my 2002tii restoration :D 

More random BMW/2002Tii Posts ? https://www.instagram.com/bimmer_b/

• 2 weeks later...

I got the seal kit for the steering box, but actually I believe the adjustment screw was too far in also so now the lower part of the box is too far down and I think I actually have to rebuild it. How available are reman boxes? Would this be an easier solution to just replace it and send out the core instead of rebuilding it and buying the bearings etc or whatever else it needs for that job? 

Ana B. 

Check out my 2002tii restoration :D 

More random BMW/2002Tii Posts ? https://www.instagram.com/bimmer_b/

Jaymic does an exchange service for many parts, steering box included, they are out of stock at the moment, but that was the same when I did my Kuglefischer pump, they just ping their supplier and get one done, probably the same for the box, Pete and Fay are super helpful, W&N does a rebuild kit with shims, shaft bearing etc

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/repair-kit-for-steering-box-lhd-models-only-32-01-00-72013.html

It would be easier to get one done in the US I guess during these crazy Covid times.

HTH

If you pull the head beware your standing on the edge of the rabbit hole, it's easy to get into the while I'm in there we need to do this to make it right.  Next thing you know your looking for new pistons and trying to find main bearings.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

31 minutes ago, ray_ said:

A few FAQers have done the rebuild recently. There are some posts outlining the successes; it's not a trivial rebuild. Just ask @0257

Cheers,

Es la verdad.  A good machinist and a few special tools (like a very low-torque dial torque wrench, a press and a really hot gas grill) required to complete the job.  As well as a lot of confidence (I keep thinking I installed the worm gear, like, one degree off center), as the car turns just a little further right than it does left!).  The rebuild kit can be gotten from Walloth & Nesch or CHS an outfit in Argentina (the former offering a few more parts).  Either should get you a smooth-spinning box.  The Argentine kit was about $350 via a group buy headed up by TraderFord, including shipping.  But there’s a lot of machine work, and unless your machinist has the arcane tools on hand to shave the bushings, you can probably add $150 to his bill for those.  By the time I was done I probably had $650 in the project.  So, if you can find a completely rebuilt box for under $700 + core charge, you may want to consider just buying.  

Contact info for Ricardo at CHS:

RICARDO CAVALLERO S.R.L. 

"Steering Parts & Systems"

Bahía Blanca 1070   -   C1407ABT - Buenos Aires - Argentina
Tel./Fax : 0054 - 11 - 4636 1547  /  4636 1507

Web : www.chsauto.com

Whatsapp : +54 11 4095-0186

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000