• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

winter tires and chains recommendations

joebarthlow

Winter approaches and it's time to prepare my 2002 for the possibility of snow. I won't see much, but I need to be prepared. I'm looking recommendations on the following:

• winter/snow tires (13 inch)

• snow chains. something that won't mess up my quarter panels, maybe rubber?

grazie!

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

Not sure if 13" exist anymore, but I'd buy studded snow tires and put 2x 50lb sandbags in the trunk.  An old trick learned from driving cars with light rear ends in the snow.  Studs rock on ice and packed snow.

And please wash the bottom of your 02 often to lessen the ravages of winter driving.  :)

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Not sure if 13" exist anymore, but I'd buy studded snow tires and put 2x 50lb sandbags in the trunk.  An old trick learned from driving cars with light rear ends in the snow.  Studs rock on ice and packed snow.

And please wash the bottom of your 02 often to lessen the ravages of winter driving.  [emoji4]

Not sure I would attack Seymour or Grouse even with studded tires. Although it is funny to see people try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 175/70r13 (they stopped making the 165/80r13)

Four of these should do the trick. Forget the chains. Paul’s 100 lbs. of sand in the trunk sounds great (double wrap the bags in 3 mil — contractor grade — garbage bags in case the bags open up).

Studs are great when there’s actual ice on the road, but they can also be slippery on dry roads. I’d skip studs unless you get a lot of snow.

Nokian invented the snow tire — sort of...mostly!

And as Paul emphasized, wash the underside regularly.

And, oh, if looks really matter, put the Hakkapeliitta’s on a set of 5” Borrani steelies.... totally awesome! You won’t want the winter to end! ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

4 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 175/70r13 (they stopped making the 165/80r13)

Four of these should do the trick. Forget the chains. Paul’s 100 lbs. of sand in the trunk sounds great (double wrap the bags in 3 mil — contractor grade — garbage bags in case the bags open up).

Studs are great when there’s actual ice on the road, but they can also be slippery on dry roads. I’d skip studs unless you get a lot of snow.

Nokian invented the snow tire — sort of...mostly!

And as Paul emphasized, wash the underside regularly.

And, oh, if looks really matter, put the Hakkapeliitta’s on a set of 5” Borrani steelies.... totally awesome! ?

Regards,

Steve

I have a set of factory steel wheels. thankfully, we don't use corrosive products on the roads in my area, but I'm a nut for keeping the car clean. After hammering my rear quarter panel with chains on my Vanagon two years ago, I am hesitant to use them. I'll investigate the Nokians. thanks!

A limited slip helps as well if you don't have one.....snows are great and if you have the LSD much better.  Back in my college days drove my '69 2002 from the East Bay (SF) to Truckee ..... in wait for it....2hr 50 mins, no weather, clear roads, no traffic (1982ish).  Today, that would be 6hr 50 mins if you were luck.  If you were in a place where you were driving with snow on the road for an extended period +1 for studded snows - those with a LSD would allow you to go most places so long as the snow doesn't get to deep (you'll end up high-centered, but then you know this already).  I found it to be a great car in the snow.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, markmac said:

A limited slip helps as well if you don't have one.....snows are great and if you have the LSD much better.  Back in my college days drove my '69 2002 from the East Bay (SF) to Truckee ..... in wait for it....2hr 50 mins, no weather, clear roads, no traffic (1982ish).  Today, that would be 6hr 50 mins if you were luck.  If you were in a place where you were driving with snow on the road for an extended period +1 for studded snows - those with a LSD would allow you to go most places so long as the snow doesn't get to deep (you'll end up high-centered, but then you know this already).  I found it to be a great car in the snow.

+1

I agree. An LSD and four great snow tires would be the ticket. I drove in the ‘70’s with only two snow tires (as did 99% of Northeast dwellers during that era) and an open diff. It was OK (first photo), but I probably could have avoided a Rochester blizzard mishap with four snows and an LSD (second photo)! ?

Best regards,

Steve

3264FE78-7754-4862-80E5-2B5240D31797.jpeg

CC68AA0A-3843-4259-8B54-A9C0B9A3A0AF.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

26 minutes ago, Guy Cocquyt said:

Best option is garage your car for their winter5c0202dedb6de18a67fde8e685f76eec.jpg

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Or move to the Carolinas ?

Tim Dennison

'72 BMW 2002 tii - Malaga,  '02 BMW Z3 Coupe Sterling Gray,  '09 BMW 650i - Carbon Black,  '15 BMW 228i Estoril Blue,  '19 BMW Z4 30 - San Francisco Red

2 minutes ago, markmac said:

Pick your poison....snow.....or hurricanes & floods....or move to Cali and get taxed up your wazu pay 2.5milly for a 1300sf house and deal with an occasional earthquake.....happy friday.

You forgot Midwestern tornadoes ?

Tim Dennison

'72 BMW 2002 tii - Malaga,  '02 BMW Z3 Coupe Sterling Gray,  '09 BMW 650i - Carbon Black,  '15 BMW 228i Estoril Blue,  '19 BMW Z4 30 - San Francisco Red

No, winters are mild in western Oregon, but a freak snow storm is possible every couple years. Don’t stick around for more than a couple of days. I bought my first snow shovel three years ago ?. I sold my vanagon and work at home. Wife drives the X5, but if I need to get off my hill in snowy conditions, I don’t won’t to be slipping around. I’m a pretty good snow driver too. The 02 lives in a heated garage 

• Like 1