• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 Prices / Values

Slavs

Actuallly, I think the cars have been under valued for at least 5 years if not 10.

I somewhat agree, except the parts, needed to fix and repair, are not anymore. Even certain used parts are climbing that dollar tree. Thank goodness for the people here and certain suppliers that can keep some of these parts reasonable.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we need to define the lines about value and worth.

My friend loaned me his '63 356 for the weekend. The car is vauled at about $100k. 

His dad bought it new before my friend was born. All the memories he has with the car increase the worth to priceless.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

When I bought mine 11 years ago I paid $1675 for a car with a few rusty spots, a dented door, fender, and no interior but it did have a freshly rebuilt motor that has been going strong since then.  My criteria was to find a car that was SMOG exempt in CA, was sporty, had support from the racing community, was fun to work on, is still practical for caring stuff around, and can be driven everyday (which I have done with mine for the entire 11 years.)

If we're being honest, there are not too many cars left that fit this criteria.  These cars will go up.  Having said that, I've noticed young people either shoot a rocket out of their pants when they see it or are completely oblivious so I have to think at some point there won't be a very broad interest in classic cars and kids just don't care much anymore.

• Like 1

Some of us got real lucky we bought when we did, that's all.  Anything that's built well is bound to go up in value eventually.  Heck, even things built poorly go up in value eventually.  People ar even asking big money for Yugos now.  

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

21 minutes ago, KFunk said:

Some of us got real lucky we bought when we did, that's all.  Anything that's built well is bound to go up in value eventually.  Heck, even things built poorly go up in value eventually.  People ar even asking big money for Yugos now.  

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

When I walk into my garage and see that iconic styling that I fell in love with as a teenager in the 1970s, I smile. See the thumbs up from drivers and pedestrians as I drive through town? Smile again. Hear that amazing sound the M10 puts out past 4K RPM? Bigger smile. Toss it into a curve and power into the next? Big, stupid grin!

Gone up in value? Cool. But not the reason I own my 02. 

• Like 9

1974 Verona 2002 tii

1974 Polaris 2002 tii (deceased)

14 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

So for me, I guess the moral is if you want one, get a 2002 sooner rather than later, drive the hell out of it, and pay close attention to what 'else' is on the market that you might like, because I think ALL good cars like this are starting to go the way of the dinosaur.  For myself, well I supplemented the 2002 with an E30 since they ARE still plentiful and cheap enough, and it now has the majority of track/autox/etc. duty in order to avoid putting the 2002 into a tire wall.  And I'm in the market for an E39 M5 for the family/street car.  The 2002 then still goes out for all the weekend activities, car events, mountain drives, and the occasional trip to the store.  With those 3, I hope to be set for life, cause I doubt anything better will ever come along.

E30 values are headed up too, and anything with an M badge (well, a factory-attached M badge) is going to jump fast. The E39 M5 is a beast, but that V8 is needy from what I hear. I ran an E39 as my daily for 10 years (01 525i) - they are absolutely DIYable. Do yourself a favor and buy a proper scan tool (BMW-specific, not generic OBD2) and you'll make your life a lot easier.

If you want the closest modern equivalent to the 2002 (IMO), and probably the last BMW to really embody the fun small practical car ethos, you'll want to look for one of these: an E82 128i. Last of the naturally-aspirated inline sixes, manual box, no iDrive/nav screen. That's been my daily driver since last year.

IMG_20181008_141751_Modified2.jpg

• Like 1

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

. "The US spec "tii" like most post 68 US spec 02s look burdened as they seem forced to wear all the crap mandated by US safety - insurance regulations etc."

What is this 'crap' that you speak of?.

My 73 tii came with NO CRAP lol

Edited by iinca
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

The value has gone up on these cars but some of what I see on places like eBay and bring a trailer are more the reflection of hopes and dreams.  Better place to look at car values is the ‘sold’ listings on eBay.  Most decent 2002s that are not rust buckets and reliable drivers seem to sell for under $10k with the nicer examples under $15.  Tii, touring, turbos, targas, etc. definitely sell for higher, with a nice Tii up around $20k-$25k.  

• Like 1

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

On 10/9/2018 at 7:28 AM, Brandon said:

....Better place to look at car values is the ‘sold’ listings on eBay.  Most decent 2002s that are not rust buckets and reliable drivers seem to sell for under $10k with the nicer examples under $15....

+1

Two very decent and driveable ‘74 tii’s recently sold on eBay: one at $12.5K, one at $15.5K....

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 10/8/2018 at 3:40 AM, 2002Scoob said:

Also... is it really that crazy of a valuation? If you made the argument that 2002's were to only just hold their value, then....

I suppose this is a valid point, but my counterpoint is: if it were possible to go to the dealership and buy a brand new 2002 fresh from the factory for $30k, how many would you go and buy? I'd have 2 in my driveway tomorrow!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

I suppose this is a valid point, but my counterpoint is: if it were possible to go to the dealership and buy a brand new 2002 fresh from the factory for $30k, how many would you go and buy? I'd have 2 in my driveway tomorrow!

Oh man... if I could get a factory fresh 02 these days, but slightly modernized, I think people would be shelling out 30-50 easy.

I'd drop 30k for one.

Oh wait... I'm doing that already, just spreading it out over a long time and starting with a non factory fresh car, haha.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2018 at 5:13 AM, adawil2002 said:

The values for 02s have gone up 10x in the past 10 years.

With that calculation my 1973 Tii would be worth $150K which is fine by me.

Hi Andrew! That valuation sounds about right for a ‘73, although perhaps a little low for a ‘72. ??

Boy, does it ever get boring hearing the periodic whinging about the supply & demand workings of our fine, capitalist system as it pertains to old cars. If you don’t like the basic fact that things are worth what people will pay for them on a given day, move to the DPRK. Searching for “villains” to blame for economic realities (flippers, speculators, rich people who aren’t “real” enthusiasts, whatever TF that means) makes one appear snobby and dumb.

• Like 4