• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IE Stainless Steel Exhaust

Bill Flynn

Hello Everyone! I have an Ireland Engineering Stainless Steel exhaust that is about 4 years old. It seems to have a rattle in the center muffler as if something inside broke loose. Pretty bad when sitting and idling. Anyone had the same issue with that product?

1 minute ago, backeis said:

Have you ruled out any contact with other parts along the underside of your car? Or loose mounting brackets? Mine occasionally rattles near the tail pipe - at some temperatures it slightly touches the bodywork.

Yep, First thing I thought of ! I have to tighten mine on occasion.

Does the rattle go away or diminish through higher rpms? And / or change harmonics at different rpms? If it goes away while driving or higher rpms, it may be rubbing or vibrating against the body/frame. I have used hose clamps on the muffler hangers as a stiffener for any torque movement from the engine to keep the exhaust in place. A crack inside the exhaust causing a rattle would change pitch but not go away off idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a common failure on the IE exhaust system... I've had to replace mine twice.  The current one has been good now for about 3 years, so I'm crossing my fingers this one is a winner.

Very important that all your exhaust hangers are in good condition; especially the hanger at the back of the transmission.

Good luck,

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

1 hour ago, Colin said:

I've had it happen to mine 4 times over two separate complete sets.  So I gave up and welded in a magnaflow.  Sounds better and doesn't break now...

Thats what I may try. What is the magnaflow model/ part number?