• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual choke cable question

scatman75

Just curious on what choke cable people are using. I converted to a weber 32/36 with manual choke and now have an early steering column cover on my 75' and I want to use the hole for the manual cable and want it to look correct just curious on what people are using

Pictured is the hole im talking about cabca2ea86c461a80a3aa9f70fc3581e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

When I installed my Mikuni 44s and hooked up the cold start devices, I bought a generic cable from Jegs, trimmed to length and mounted exactly where the hole for the OE cable would have gone, Exactly like you are wanting to do.

DSCN2446.JPG

Edited by Emyers
  • Like 1

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

When I installed my Mikuni 44s and hooked up the cold start devices, I bought a generic cable from Jegs, trimmed to length and mounted exactly where the hole for the OE cable would have gone, Exactly like you are wanting to do.
DSCN2446.thumb.JPG.385533b414ed787c6ebd37772569d6dc.JPG
Exactly what im looking to do thank you

Coupla things:

• Try and find a metal lower steering column housing from a manual choke roundie (68-mid-72 with a 1 barrel Solex).  The metal housings are a lot sturdier than the plastic ones, which will eventually break as the cable is quite stiff to pull.
  • If you use a factory choke cable from a 1 barrel Solex setup, you'll find the cable is just an inch or two too short.  To make it work, you'll need to make a longer cable clamp arm for your manual choke Weber, so you can clamp the outer cable sheath to the arm.  Then take a short length of stiff piano wire and a small wire clamp (the kind with two set screws) and splice an inch or so onto the end of the stock cable.  That'll reach the Weber's choke lever.  
  • Alternatively, you can buy a proper length generic cable with a screwed-on knob, then recut the threads on the cable end to accept a 2002 knob that matches the other knobs on your dashboard.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Coupla things:
  • Try and find a metal lower steering column housing from a manual choke roundie (68-mid-72 with a 1 barrel Solex).  The metal housings are a lot sturdier than the plastic ones, which will eventually break as the cable is quite stiff to pull.
  • If you use a factory choke cable from a 1 barrel Solex setup, you'll find the cable is just an inch or two too short.  To make it work, you'll need to make a longer cable clamp arm for your manual choke Weber, so you can clamp the outer cable sheath to the arm.  Then take a short length of stiff piano wire and a small wire clamp (the kind with two set screws) and splice an inch or so onto the end of the stock cable.  That'll reach the Weber's choke lever.  
  • Alternatively, you can buy a proper length generic cable with a screwed-on knob, then recut the threads on the cable end to accept a 2002 knob that matches the other knobs on your dashboard.
mike
Thanks mike I have a metal lower and am trying to integrate it I may pick up the stock cable just for the knob like you said