• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Bay Decals

mo02

For those with '02s up to early '72 (?) the italic font colour decals would be nice to have. However, given the number of colours available, I don't think this would be a viable operation.

1160886877_ItalicColourStickers.thumb.jpg.b7f638622fdd7de9be151e587b729e4a.jpg

• Like 3

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Hi Steve,

I agree.  Thanks for sharing your insight — I have a lot of research to + questions to ask.... hopefully there can be a happy medium.

As for emissions decals — I may just opt-out of those for a variety of reasons.

-Mo  

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

14 minutes ago, 02Les said:

For those with '02s up to early '72 (?) the italic font colour decals would be nice to have. However, given the number of colours available, I don't think this would be a viable operation.

1160886877_ItalicColourStickers.thumb.jpg.b7f638622fdd7de9be151e587b729e4a.jpg

Agreed I was hoping to get the border correct — but fonts should really be 2 types which I think is difficult to produce but possible— maybe without financial sense....

Hilda installed the stickers on my car back in May 1972. She put them on straight, but had difficulty with the hood stickers as she was of shorter stature.

Gunther had no problems with his reach, but was more haphazard in his placement.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

It would be highly useful to all the FAQ folks if those whose cars have their original stickers would photograph them, and submit the pictures along with the year and VIN of their car.  The pictures and descriptions could then be placed in a file accessible to all.  Even if the original stickers weren't pristine, they will show exact placement and which stickers were used, by year.

I believe that was done with the VIN stickers placed on 2002 doors starting sometime in 1971 or so--at least there was a long discussion with pictures of what proved to be a number of different style stickers that the factory employed over the 4-5 years the stickers were used.

All the stickers on my '69 (Feb 69 production) and my '73 (Dec 72 production) are original and I'm happy to take pictures for the article...

How about it, folks?

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Quite the idea which I like but a lot or work....

I am really trying to get a grasp on what is a good baseline as I know there are many smaller details which basically 1-of & hard to reproduce.

I will add that emissions decals are not easy to make for me as I believe these should be issued by a dealer per VIN or by each state -- although making them for originality sense is important -- it is also important to be compliant so....

Any and all information is helpful and wanted so thanks :) 

6 minutes ago, Sal Savino said:

I like Mike's suggestion.  Many of us have already added pictures and info to the Registry on this site.  Maybe add pictures of the stickers there?

I would certainly appreciate it.  Again this is actually a lot of work to organize and reproduce exactly as original but I believe it is just one of those details if done right every owner can appreciate :) 

• Like 1

Love this thread. 

I’d be very interested in a proper set of stickers for my ‘72 tii. I think I have them all, but are worn. I’d be happy to take pics of what I got. 

Anyone have info info on a complete set for this year?

• Like 1

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

18 minutes ago, mvliotta said:

Love this thread. 

I’d be very interested in a proper set of stickers for my ‘72 tii. I think I have them all, but are worn. I’d be happy to take pics of what I got. 

Anyone have info info on a complete set for this year?

Anytime you can would be great :) either post here or send me a PM.  

I am am looking to gather as much useful information as possible.

Mo

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

Here is the set Carl pulled for my May 1972 tii.

20160607_040151.jpg

I believe the oil sticker for a 72tii was as per pic below, and positioned top left corner of the hood under the air pressure sticker. The Achtung sticker did not arrive until the '74 models.

1811858222_72tiistickers.thumb.jpg.1653aa0afe99d2069adb454e6cb3343d.jpg

Many places sell stickers/decals for the '02s, but defining which one pertains to which year car is not always correct. It is likely Owners will choose what they think is correct, and, overtime (assuming we haven't already got there), no one will be able to clearly state which is correct.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

What you pictured appears to be the early type Oil + Air decal combination located on the hood.

Thanks for sharing an accurate picture -- If all goes as planned I hope to have a semi-comprehensive guide for at least basic decals used as a good reference point -- 

-Mo 

Here is the set I recently got from Carl for my '74.  As Mike suggested having a file of pictures for easy access would be very helpful as it's going to be a while before we get to the point of adding the stickers.  Some of mine were missing so we don't know where some are supposed to go!  

IMG_9137.JPG