• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Tii on BaT

NYNick

I have to wonder how much the owner actually spent on this car since it was a rusty/bondo-filled car.  Think Delia has mentioned this one before (it was put up for sale). 

Weird how most BaT folks will "poo-poo" on the mis-matched 72/73/74 engine combination yet this car has held high bids.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

37 minutes ago, jgerock said:

I have to wonder how much the owner actually spent on this car since it was a rusty/bondo-filled car.  Think Delia has mentioned this one before (it was put up for sale). 

Weird how most BaT folks will "poo-poo" on the mis-matched 72/73/74 engine combination yet this car has held high bids.

Totally agree, probably was quite a bit of coin. Looks pretty but for those desiring originality uber alles would likely pass (love the H&B wheels though!).

Edited by JsnPpp

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Holy rebuild, BATman!

Still, I'm partial to a Polaris tii, and the build looks really nice. I hope this garners a pretty penny. I agree with Paul and JP, $85k sounds doable with it's current trajectory.

Edited by g_force
to be "punnier"

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

One of the BaT commenters (@Shnizoz) expressed some interesting concerns about the fact that no jigs or fixtures were used to maintain the structural integrity of the upper body when the entire floor structure was swapped out. I wonder what some of your opinions are about this. 

Given how much of this car’s body structure has been replaced (I’m trying to think what is actually original), one wonders if it wouldn’t have been simpler to just source a complete, rust-free tub...can’t you buy one new from BMW?!

A beautiful car though...I’ve seen it at several Brisbane shows and witnessed its mechanical restoration by JP & Delia at A1 over more than half a decade. It’s stunning and very tastefully done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, COOP said:

no jigs or fixtures were used to maintain the structural integrity of the upper body when the entire floor structure was swapped out. I wonder what some of your opinions are about this. 

I'd like to assume that they used all the concise body measurements available in the shop manuals.  With as much expertise that went into the restoration I would trust that they met all the specs.  But that's me.

• Like 3

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I was at a restoration shop that is well versed in BMW's and this car came up

in conversation.  General agreement on

why you would start with such a needy body and structure. I would want the assurance of a Celette.

However Beautiful Singeresque execution

Going back in the day everyone moded their 2002 and today Hot Rods are in. I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks 6 figures

This is essentially a new 1972 tii, built from scratch, not wholly dissimilar from BMW’s own exercise some years back, building a brand new 1972 tii from the factory parts bin. (COOP, I have some vague memory that the factory had its last two ‘02 body shells at the time of the factory exercise and one of them was used for the factory car.) Still, it preserves a few historic components and I absolutely applaud this resurrection of what appears to have been a parts car.

I hope it reaches six figures simply to compensate the clearly obsessive, clearly well-heeled, seller for a portion of a bill which must have stretched well into six-figure territory!

My personal desire for old cars that are largely new (or old houses that are largely new, speaking to my other passion) is slim, to none, but I’m glad that others feel differently, and are willing and able to devote the resources to exercises such as this.

(The rims are beautiful on their own, but I’d wager that a set of factory steelies with chrome wheel covers would bring substantially more money for the car, allowing it to appeal to both the restomod and the original car segments of the market.)

Go, BAT tii, go!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I hope the "rust free donor car" was previously compromised to preclude a rebuild!

The battery is not under the rear seat? That's silly :)

(Maybe the above were addressed in BaT comments -- I haven't looked)

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

This is essentially a new 1972 tii, built from scratch, not wholly dissimilar from BMW’s own exercise some years back.

(The rims are beautiful on their own, but I’d wager that a set of factory steelies with chrome wheel covers would bring substantially more money for the car, allowing it to appeal to both the restomod and the original car segments of the market.)

Hi Steve,

To me this car actually has very little in common with the car that BMW built from scratch (other than the fact that they’re both stupid-nice 2002s) given that the Mobile Tradition car was 100% bone stock using all new parts and this car is a totally non-stock spec restomod, resurrected from a rust bucket (true, also using mostly new parts).

i disagree on your point about the wheels, given that this (again) is a restomod with many performances enhancements, including big brakes that wouldn’t come close to fitting under factory steel wheels. I think the H&B units are perfect for this build: Period correct, rare-ish and stunning.

i agree with $80-100K. Then we’ll all have the distinct pleasure of being treated to yet another wave of whinging, soulful lamentations from the “real enthusiasts” relating to how “ridiculous” the prices of 2002s have become.

Edited by COOP
  • Like 1