• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheels - 2002 4x100

Periwinkle

I believe Tii wheels were also 5 1/2 wide. They had their own special steelies I believe. 

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I'll stand corrected too.  A brief search suggested that Nathan was right and tii steelies were indeed 5 1/2" wide.

The thread I read was talking about the early style wheels/hub caps.

Now I am curious, did the 74 tii have the later style wheels in 5 1/2"?

We need Steve's insight here.  :) 

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02

Oh-kay.  I sent a message to Steve (Conserv) and he got me squared away. 

Tom,

The only '02 model to ever come from the factory with 5 1/2" steel wheels was the turbo: 5 1/2 x 13, ET18 (which is identical to e21 rims).

'02's through the end of the round taillight era came with 4 1/2" rims, except for the 2002ti, the 2000tii touring, and the 2002tii, all of which received 5" rims.  In the square taillight era, all sub-models came with 5" rims, except for the turbo. The difference between 2002 and tii rims, thus, disappeared in the square taillight era.

All factory rims were dated, which makes it pretty easy to confirm whether a set of rims is possibly original to a given car. Show me a set of 5 1/2" styled steel rims dated before April 1975 (when the Euro-spec e21 was introduced), and you're looking at bona fide turbo steelies. These are ultra rare and I've never seen any for sale separate from turbo.

Below, from the 1974 U.S. model 2002 brochure: 

"Rims: 5 J x 13 H 2" for both 2002 and 2002tii.

Best regards,

Steve

IMG_2973.JPG

fwiw, this old post from 2011 is the one that threw me off.  

Well there is more to the story...my brilliant son cracked out the magnifying glass and found that I have one rogue wheel (the 5 1/2) and the set of four (one still in my trunk)  is the regular 5s.  So my post has been updated for accuracy and I'm just selling the 5 x 13s.  And there we are!

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors