• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 tii restoration question

mjcari

Hi gang,

I am restoring my 73tii and we put new bmw fenders on it. Do I need to drill holes for the front bumper to connect the end to the fenders? I cannot remember if they were there or necessary and they don't exist on the new fenders. Photos? location? Size?

thanks.

mike

IMG_3949.JPG

New fenders don't come predrilled for side markers or the bumper attachment points.  Transfer the holes from the old fenders or install the bumper to get the correct hole locations - especially if you are using different bumpers/brackets.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

‘73’s came from the factory with the one-year-only 2 1/2 mph bumper supports. They extend an extra inch or so from the body. Many ‘73 cars no longer have these supports, intentionally or accidentally.

Don’t worry about which supports you are using. Follow Jim’s suggestion and fit your bumper using the supports you intend to use and drill the holes based on your car’s specific facts!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

As Jim alluded to, install the bumper and ensure it is sitting correctly, then mark the holes to suit. I did this recently with my Touring refurb; had I drilled holes per my old fenders I would have been in trouble. Hole sized for clearance for M8 bolt.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

"Measure twice, drill once".  A motto that sometimes we forget.  I'm the slowest worker because I don't like to make mistakes so I would measure 3, 4 times.  Eyeball for easthetics as well.

Very often you'll see saging front bumpers on early cars.  Usually because of alignment issues.  Drill the holes falls into this category.

Below is an old picture of my (car) bumper alignment.  I think it's close to correct.

Criticism or further knowledge welcome.

DSC00233sml2.jpg.3b56ada49bc68247f95657d8b8cbb095.jpg

73 Inka Tii #2762958

And when you're mounting the bumper, level it to match the bottom edges of the two side grilles, not the ground.  Then use a short level to make sure each side wraparound piece is level, and mark your holes to drill.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite