• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column Disc and Spring

David Layton

When we removed the tired steering column disc, there was a spring in the middle which was very rusted.  I went to the usual vendors, the only one listing it was Maximillian and last night, he sent me an email advising it was no longer available.

I assume this is in place to protect the disc from compression.  I assume this can be replaced with a similar sized spring.  Any advise on this is helpful.

Thanks

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

8 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

Other cars have a woven "ground strap" with eyelets

You can use a piece of cooper or stainless wire with twists on the ends or make a short connector with an eyelet on each end.  The wire should be connected so that the two flanges on either side of the steering coupler are linked electrically to provide the ground for the horn button.  Here's some pics of the older woven strap version and how it is installed.

Steering coupler ground.jpg

Ground Strap (1).jpg

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Not sure on the part you are talking about. Part # or picture would be helpful. If you are referring to #4 in this picture I have about 20 of them.  I have no idea WHY I have 20 of them but pretty sure that is more than a lifetime supply. 

Pic 1.jpeg

Edited by Jbaumshelter

Yep, just confirmed the part # on realoem.com. Since I must have the last 20 of them on planet earth the cost is 1 million dollars each. 

Just kidding, no charge. Send me a PM with you address and I will send you over one. 

IMG_0591.jpg

Edited by Jbaumshelter

38 minutes ago, Jbaumshelter said:

Not sure on the part you are talking about. Part # or picture would be helpful. If you are referring to #4 in this picture I have about 20 of them.  I have no idea WHY I have 20 of them but pretty sure that is more than a lifetime supply.

Hence the reason they're NLA- you bought the world supply without even realizing it! Thanks for hosing the rest of us!  ;)

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

2 minutes ago, irdave said:

Hence the reason they're NLA- you bought the world supply without even realizing it! Thanks for hosing the rest of us!  ;)

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why I had so many. I bought 1 spring about a 2 years ago. I think they must have sent me the whole damn box. I guess I'm gonna be know as the guy who has all the steering column springs.