• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper Turbo Trunk Elephant Skin

frached

This topic came up again with my car. My car was originally delivered to France and was fairly original when I purchased it. The wooden trunk floor panels were covered in Elephant Skin. 

Maybe it was based upon production date? In looking at photos of restorations from the Werkshop it appears their restored cars all have elephant skin...I know they like to go the extra mile as well (which I appreciate).

Ted's car didn't have Elephant Skin.

I am told the trunk mat was an extra (over the counter) or original in the luxury version....I was not around then to know....

Thoughts?

My ‘75 tii Lux has painted floorboards and no elephant skin anywhere.  The trunk mat for a lux has two snaps that hold it to the floorboards and extends all the way to the bulkhead at the rear seat.  It also wraps up on the sides to cover the areas normally covered by the horizontal elephant skin strips.  It is made from a very thin, light gray loop carpet with a plastic backing.  Looking past the junk in the picture, you can see how it wraps up the sides.

I don’t think this is the same mat offered otc for the turbo, it wouldn’t with the elevated floorboards.

20220110_112913134_iOS.jpeg

Current: '75 verona 2002Tii Lux “Lecco”

Retired: '67 chamonix 1600-2, '69 tundra 2002ti-ed, '74 chamonix 2002, '75 anthracite 2002

==> Contact me if you need a tii or turbo CSV harness - I make a really accurate repro <==

• 1 month later...

I bought mine from the 2nd owner. He knew the original owner and the car had been parked since 1985.  It had vinyl on the trunk boards that was a bit beat up because they put parts in it.  It sounds like it was random from the factory.  It was built in March 1974

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC