• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peoples' reactions to my 02 in LA traffic

Slavs

Older couple after checking into the Hampton Inn NC same time as Andrew Wilson and I:

Him: Are those Opels?

Us: Nope, BMW 2002tii's

I didn't want to get into the discussion of how the Opel wheels would fit our cars. 

Even after I installed 1969 YOM plates on the Riviera car I still get asked "what year is it?".

Bonus point goes out to the owner of My Avocado Restaurant in Orange, VA.  I drove my 73tii to lunch a few weeks ago (my dad was the passenger).  The owner immediately asked me:  "Is that a 68?"    

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Something is definitely going on with the "tii thing".  I've noticed when I go to Cars and Coffee nowadays, people walk around the back to look at the badge.  Is that maybe the only thing non-vintage BMW enthusiasts know about the 02?  That there is a regular 02, and a tii version?  It is kind of weird.  Blamable on the "internet", I'm sure.  

Went out to dinner in the 02 (yes, it IS a tii, lol) last week and an older guy was admiring it when my wife and I came out of the restaurant.  The usual somewhat weird and awkward conversation ensued.  My wife was like, "does that happen a lot?"  "Yeah, pretty much constantly.  This thing attracts 65 year old white guys like you wouldn't believe."  

Scott

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

2 hours ago, saaron said:

Something is definitely going on with the "tii thing".  I've noticed when I go to Cars and Coffee nowadays, people walk around the back to look at the badge.  Is that maybe the only thing non-vintage BMW enthusiasts know about the 02?  That there is a regular 02, and a tii version?  It is kind of weird.  Blamable on the "internet", I'm sure.  

Went out to dinner in the 02 (yes, it IS a tii, lol) last week and an older guy was admiring it when my wife and I came out of the restaurant.  The usual somewhat weird and awkward conversation ensued.  My wife was like, "does that happen a lot?"  "Yeah, pretty much constantly.  This thing attracts 65 year old white guys like you wouldn't believe."  

Scott

What's wrong with 65 year old white guys? ?

• Haha 4

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

9 hours ago, saaron said:

Something is definitely going on with the "tii thing".  I've noticed when I go to Cars and Coffee nowadays, people walk around the back to look at the badge.  Is that maybe the only thing non-vintage BMW enthusiasts know about the 02?  

Most of my Carshow friends have late model Italians and Porsche’s with big flares, they know there’s a Tii and a “Base” 2002. They don’t have much interest but they always ask first “Is it a Tii?”  Not that they even know what any of the differences are

?

2FA6FA6C-66DD-414C-8D70-212D57A54F30.jpeg.99d59cfb7aed22fb0201065411ce983b.jpeg

• Like 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

On 11/9/2018 at 11:31 PM, Jimmy said:

I remarked to a friend that I wasn't sure whether I was extroverted enough to own it. 

? Said almost the same thing just the other day! Too funny!

1974 Verona 2002 tii

1974 Polaris 2002 tii (deceased)

On 11/9/2018 at 7:10 AM, fastricky said:

I was able to rent an '02 a few times when I visited LA and was amazed at the reaction considering all the incredible cars out there generally.

:)

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

28 minutes ago, bmw_e30 said:
  On 11/9/2018 at 7:10 AM, fastricky said:

I was able to rent an '02 a few times when I visited LA and was amazed at the reaction considering all the incredible cars out there generally.

I had a guy taking pictures of my car with a McLaren down the block. He said he could see McLaren any day of the week in Beverly Hills but has rarely ever seen a 02 parked on the stree

?

81564E02-D9A8-4D6A-B67A-41F229952FB2.thumb.jpeg.e9c59f310813d5a6e066efcfa3ea765c.jpeg

• Like 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

I'm in Augusta, GA so the car enthusiast environment is probably a good bit smaller than CA.   I've been asked a couple of times if its a Tii, but mostly I just get a thumbs up from another driver (usually in a newer BMW of some type).  I get asked about the car nearly every time I drive it, but usually by someone who knows its old and just wants to know what "it" is.  It's rare that I run up on someone who actually knows what it is in Augusta.  Charleston, SC is a different story.  I could barely get out of town fast enough the last time I drove it there.  I drove down king street on a Saturday afternoon, and I answered questions at every stop light and intersection. 

I once came out of a mall to my '61 Corvette to find an old couple sitting in it.  I walked up, and the guy smiled and commented something like "nice car huh?"  I dangled the keys and asked why they were sitting in MY CAR.  It could have gone bad, but they were nice, apologetic, and explained that their first date had been in a car just like it, and they couldn't resist taking the chance to sit in it and reminisce.   Weird.  

The worst encounter I've ever had was while driving a '66 Land Rover I used to have. It was 2001 or so, and I got cussed out by some old lady and her husband for driving around in a "Sadam Husein" truck.  It was Limestone (off white) in color, and I guess they thought it looked like something you'd find in the desert to them.  Weird.  

1 minute ago, Tdh said:

I'm in Augusta, GA so the car enthusiast environment is probably a good bit smaller than CA.   I've been asked a couple of times if its a Tii, but mostly I just get a thumbs up from another driver (usually in a newer BMW of some type).  I get asked about the car nearly every time I drive it, but usually by someone who knows its old and just wants to know what "it" is.  It's rare that I run up on someone who actually knows what it is in Augusta.  Charleston, SC is a different story.  I could barely get out of town fast enough the last time I drove it there.  I drove down king street on a Saturday afternoon, and I answered questions at every stop light and intersection. 

I once came out of a mall to my '61 Corvette to find an old couple sitting in it.  I walked up, and the guy smiled and commented something like "nice car huh?"  I dangled the keys and asked why they were sitting in MY CAR.  It could have gone bad, but they were nice, apologetic, and explained that their first date had been in a car just like it, and they couldn't resist taking the chance to sit in it and reminisce.   Weird.  

The worst encounter I've ever had was while driving a '66 Land Rover I used to have. It was 2001 or so, and I got cussed out by some old redneck lady and her husband for driving around in a "Sadam Husein" truck.  It was Limestone (off white) in color, and I guess they thought it looked like something you'd find in the desert to them.  Weird.