• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Baur Targa

Kujo85

Here's a great example of the level of photography/video documentation expected on Bring A Trailer (this Touring did not meet the reserve, but was sold after the end of the auction to a private party). In your case, a leak-down/compression test might also be valuable info for a potential buyer. Good luck!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-2000tii-touring-2/

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

Have you seen this?  Thanks to my friend Bob Kaufmann for the heads up on this a little while ago!

"This award winning collectable is priced to sell at $125,000."

Yikes! ;)

https://www.bmw2002.co.uk/car-of-the-month/car-of-the-month-dec-2018/?fbclid=IwAR2WikzZC87dKQj2AXjoHSpB4VjmJqoeaKGw0GqHHOpuif1Yggi2WvUmEIk

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting), 1982 323i Baur

1991 325ix (winter), 1977 320i (carbed), 1989 325ix

1989 325iC (summer), 1979 323i (project), 1978 320i (parts)

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

4 minutes ago, tomscat1 said:

Have you seen this?  Thanks to my friend Bob Kaufmann for the heads up on this a little while ago!

"This award winning collectable is priced to sell at $125,000."

Yikes! ;)

https://www.bmw2002.co.uk/car-of-the-month/car-of-the-month-dec-2018/?fbclid=IwAR2WikzZC87dKQj2AXjoHSpB4VjmJqoeaKGw0GqHHOpuif1Yggi2WvUmEIk

A beautiful example indeed

• Like 1

The Werk Shop does amazing, well, work, and I would not be surprised if the inve$tment into this Targa was close to the asking price...

• Like 2

Paul Huber

—Aboriginal Saying

11 minutes ago, 1972_Targa said:

The Werk Shop does amazing, well, work, and I would not be surprised if the inve$tment into this Targa was close to the asking price...

What have you had done at the Werk Shop? ?

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

22 minutes ago, ray_ said:

What have you had done at the Werk Shop? ?

Cheers,

I have had no work ever performed by the Werk Shop. These folks chase perfection, and basically deliver like-new cars. Customers pay appropriately for that level of service. It's a univer$e I can't afford to ever exist within... I relish imperfect 2002s with bona fide souls.

Edited by 1972_Targa
  • Like 2

Paul Huber

—Aboriginal Saying

Congrats to you and your father for keeping the Baur for so long.  Since you are going the BaT route, I encourage you to keep in touch with the folks who comment on the auction (to answer questions).   I've viewed auctions where folks who comment will chide the seller who does not respond to questions or comments.   Since it is in fact a Baur targa, I recommend putting that detail into the auction title, since most folks won't know what it is and will think it is a regular or modified 2002.

Also, be prepared for all the non-bidders who just comment about various things unrelated to the auction.  This is my biggest gripe about BaT auctions, so I refuse to comment anymore.

Happy selling.

Jim

• Like 4

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

1 hour ago, 02Les said:

Pity they left the "late" nose panel on & the Werk Shop should know better than sticking a '74-'76 Orange Parts decal on. I guess it matches the nose?

Like most (virtually all?) “restorations”, this appears to be a “personalized interpretation” rather than a strict restoration to stock. Note the filled seams where the rear quarter panels meet the rear body panel (versus exposed seams), the black underside (versus body-color overspray and primer), the multi-color trunk liner (versus body color over schutz), flag mirror (versus trap mirror). I don’t believe this owner was intending to take the car back to 1972, but, rather, to his idea of an ideal Bauer cab.

The Werk Shop, and the other high-end shops like SCR and Korman, build dreams, not stock cars. I got to look at the Werk Shop’s Ceylon ‘73 tii at the BMW CCA Foundation’s Icon exhibit in South Carolina. It’s drop-dead gorgeous. The only statement I take issue with is the contention that it is as close to a factory ‘73 as possible. No, it’s not! That mirror-finished underside is nothing like the product that rolled off the assembly line; it’s much nicer! ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

19 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Like many (most?) “restorations”, this appears to be a “personalized interpretation” rather than a strict restoration to stock. Note the filled seams where the rear quarter panels meet the rear body panel (rather than exposed seams), the black underside (versus body-color overspray and primer), the multi-color trunk liner (versus body color over schutz). I don’t believe this owner was intending to take the car back to 1972, but, rather, to his idea of an ideal Bauer cab.

The Werkshop, and the other high-end shops like SCR and Korman, build dreams, not stock cars. I got to look at the Werkshop’s Ceylon ‘73 tii at the BMW CCA Foundation’s Icon exhibit in South Carolina. It’s gorgeous. The only statement I take issue with is the contention that it is as close to a factory ‘73 as possible. No, it’s not! That perfectly finished underside is nothing like the product that rolled off the assembly line; it’s much nicer! ?

Best regards,

Steve

This excerpt from the article, I assume, was written by Don Dethlefsen (The Werk Shop). I guess Mr Don's view of a factory new, show winning (concours?) restoration is a little different than mine.

This example:  The Werk Shop did a complete, no two parts stayed together, high quality, show winning restoration on this vehicle for a Doctor in Dayton, Ohio.  The car can be considered factory new and was finished and delivered to him in 2004.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

10 minutes ago, 02Les said:

This excerpt from the article, I assume, was written by Don Dethlefsen (The Werk Shop). I guess Mr Don's view of a factory new, show winning (concours?) restoration is a little different than mine.

This example:  The Werk Shop did a complete, no two parts stayed together, high quality, show winning restoration on this vehicle for a Doctor in Dayton, Ohio.  The car can be considered factory new and was finished and delivered to him in 2004.

Interesting, Les, that’s virtually the same statement I objected to regarding the Ceylon ‘73 tii in the Icon exhibit! I suspect you and I have similar images of “factory new”, and it’s not the same as Don’s. ?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

9 hours ago, Kujo85 said:

Will be listing privately (hopefully in the next day or two)

Currently thinking: Here, Hemmings, BMWCCA/Roundel...Other suggestions?

Would appreciate any and all grass root advertising as well - Thanks!

When I sell mine I plan to create an ad on the faq (+ donation to the site!), hemmings, and craigslist.. The roundel and the baur dedicated sites are also good. Always easy to expand the exposure if no interest.

I have zero interest in using BaT, but possibly would use ebay at some point depending on timing.

Some great feedback already, I concur to capture as many photos as possible and a solid description of its history to share with prospective owners.

Nice car, will sell well I am sure.

~Jason

Edited by JsnPpp
  • Like 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

45 minutes ago, JsnPpp said:

Some great feedback already, I concur to capture as many photos as possible and a solid description of its history to share with prospective owners.

Curious if you're considering an inspection and followup report, including a leak-down/compression test? IMHO it would be helpful to prospective buyers to have some professional perspective on the overall condition of your beautiful Baur. 

Paul Huber

—Aboriginal Saying