• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Baur Targa

Kujo85

3 minutes ago, SPITX said:

BAT with a reserve is definitely the direction that I would pursue in this given situation. Even if you just wanted to test the market before committing to selling. 

My thoughts exactly - for $99, it seems foolish to not go in with a reasonable reserve and see what happens. Appreciate the input.

Pretty car.  I'd give it a Hagerty 2-.  Apparent paint mismatch on left quarter, older vinyl soft top, bent trim, square tails (plus or minus), aftermarket carpet and rust bubbles. Hard to assess floor with undercoating but apparently less rusty than 80% of what I've seen.  I'd ask $40-45K.  My 2 cents; YMMV.  GLWS.

Don

35 minutes ago, dbower said:

Pretty car.  I'd give it a Hagerty 2-.  Apparent paint mismatch on left quarter, older vinyl soft top, bent trim, square tails (plus or minus), aftermarket carpet and rust bubbles. Hard to assess floor with undercoating but apparently less rusty than 80% of what I've seen.  I'd ask $40-45K.  My 2 cents; YMMV.  GLWS.

Don

I concur with Don (both Don and I currently own 1972 roundie  2002 Baur Targas). In general, this car really needs a good sorting out (clean up wiring in the engine compartment, replace broken latch cover plate on seat, firm up wonky center console, replace roof section seal, etc.), and then detail the hell out of it. FWIW, as much as I like Panasports, they don’t feel quite right on your car. Also non-period radio is a little funky. Feel free to message me directly if you want to chat. Little improvements can make a big difference when you put your beautiful Targa up for sale...

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

1 hour ago, Kujo85 said:

OK here with go with about 50 more pics - please let me know your thoughts -

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1et9hobQ8Wapa2w0nIF4mb6qZZ-O5H6x5?usp=sharing

Looks like a beautiful example, Kujo85, congratulations!  And you are correct:  we do not see these come on the market in the US very often!  That may be part of the reason that we have recently seen a number of Baurs purchased overseas (Europe and even Australia), and then imported to the US.  

Anyway, at Baurspotting, we are happy to help get the word out --- free, of course! --- when, and if, you decide to proceed to a sale.  We have recently passed 1,000,000 views, and we have a world-wide audience of Baur enthusiasts!  We look forward to learning more about your Baur, and are happy to add any info or pics that you want to share to our posts!  Welcome to Baurspotting! ;) 

https://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2018/11/new-to-us-1974-baur-targa-in-new-york.html

We will also be spreading the word through our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Baurspotting-1415961761990371/

Best Wishes from Connecticut! ;)

Thank you for posting these pics.  I have added the link to the Baurspotting blog and Facebook page posts (which have been shared numerous times already), so lots of folks have seen this.... around the world! I hope you don't mind!  ;)  Best wishes! 

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting), 1982 323i Baur

1991 325ix (winter), 1977 320i (carbed), 1989 325ix

1989 325iC (summer), 1979 323i (project), 1978 320i (parts)

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

19 hours ago, dbower said:

Don

Thanks for the input Don!

18 hours ago, 1972_Targa said:

I concur with Don (both Don and I currently own 1972 roundie  2002 Baur Targas). In general, this car really needs a good sorting out (clean up wiring in the engine compartment, replace broken latch cover plate on seat, firm up wonky center console, replace roof section seal, etc.), and then detail the hell out of it. FWIW, as much as I like Panasports, they don’t feel quite right on your car. Also non-period radio is a little funky. Feel free to message me directly if you want to chat. Little improvements can make a big difference when you put your beautiful Targa up for sale...

Thank you for the input! Most appreciated - May take you up on the offer to chat

Having dinner with my Dad tonight after chatting with him a bit today - as I mentioned I’m essentially acting as the “broker” for him due to his other current obligations. Looking like we will go the BAT route - question will be what/if anything we want to do to the car prior to going down that path. I’ll keep this post updated and again I really do appreciate everyone’s feedback 

13 minutes ago, Kujo85 said:

Thank you for the input! Most appreciated - May take you up on the offer to chat

Please do. I've actually owned my Targa twice now, and know quite a bit about this particular model.

targa_olga.JPG

• Like 3

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

I suspect that BaT will not know how to guide you on pricing this since there are so few comparables.  These are really a separate category from 2002 sedans and tourings, and condition is paramount.  You have a very nice example, and the fact that it is already in the US is a big selling point.  Based on my experience, they may gently pressure you to set a low reserve to increase the chances of a completed sale (and their commission).  Lots of postings there do not meet reserve.  All depends on how badly you want/need to sell.  Hemmings is another viable option.

Don

28 minutes ago, dbower said:

I suspect that BaT will not know how to guide you on pricing this since there are so few comparables.  These are really a separate category from 2002 sedans and tourings, and condition is paramount.  You have a very nice example, and the fact that it is already in the US is a big selling point.  Based on my experience, they may gently pressure you to set a low reserve to increase the chances of a completed sale (and their commission).  Lots of postings there do not meet reserve.  All depends on how badly you want/need to sell.  Hemmings is another viable option.

Don

Great to know - I thought perhaps the fact that as far as I can tell there hasn’t been one of these auctioned in the US (or at least, not many) this would be a prime, unique example for BAT - perhaps I should reevaluate - again any input on the most appropriate way to list is appreciated. The intent is to absolutely sell - my father wants to move on to a Datsun 510 - so, long as we can get a fair price, we’re intent on selling. I may start down the BAT path, and see what kind of pushback I get as far as a reserve goes.

2 hours ago, Kujo85 said:

question will be what/if anything we want to do to the car prior to going down that path. 

Lot’s of different schools of thought here.

Personally I would not be spending ‘money’ (of course you will be spending money!) on a car before selling it.

Yes to small jobs that tidy things up and present things better and if you happen to have an old Blaupunkt around, sure fit that.

Just remember that with any car restoration, you are unlikely to get back what you pay. This is especially the case if you are going to sell it immediately. The only reason you may do this is to make a car more attractive to buyers, so it’s only worth considering if you think that there would be little interest in the car as it stands (the replys above would imply not). 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

2 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Lot’s of different schools of thought here.

Personally I would not be spending ‘money’ (of course you will be spending money!) on a car before selling it.

Yes to small jobs that tidy things up and present things better and if you happen to have an old Blaupunkt around, sure fit that.

Just remember that with any car restoration, you are unlikely to get back what you pay. This is especially the case if you are going to sell it immediately. The only reason you may do this is to make a car more attractive to buyers, so it’s only worth considering if you think that there would be little interest in the car as it stands (the replys above would imply not). 

Thanks for the feedback - with the small amount of research I’ve done and with talking with my Dad, I’m not sure we’d see the return on purchasing and installing a new euro taillight, for example - sure it makes it more complete, but I still feel the “uniqueness” of this car is where the value lies and hope potential buyers can see past its imperfections. We know it’s not a show car - rather a nice car that someone can hopefully see the value in, and enjoy driving it as is on nice summer days. We’re not in a rush to sell the car but at the same time now that we’ve exerted some amount of effort, we’d like to keep the momentum rolling and get this sold. 

• Like 2

OK - Contact with BAT has been initiated - gave them a firm reserve price and we'll see what they come back with - will keep the thread up to date (for those who care lol). For me, this is enjoyable - gives me a break from my everyday job and lets me engage with a community of auto enthusiasts, which I appreciate it. Entirely different from the FJ40 Landcruiser forum I engage in, but at the end of the day, everyone involved is engaged for the same reason, a general love/appreciation for a certain type of vehicle.

• Like 3