• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two different cam removal tools - why?

Healey3000

Hi,

I see that there are two different tools, one for the tii and one for the non-tii.  The stern warning in the shop manual says that using the wrong tool on the tii head will warp it cause valve damage.

Forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression that the heads were the same on both models.  What are the differences and how does the damage occur?

Thanks!

Edited by Healey3000

I think the later tool is for 72 and later cars with the larger intake valves which will hit the exhaust valve unless you stagier the opening with shorter legs on one side of the tool. 

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Yes the early heads with the smaller valves had more clearance.  When you use the tool you need to compress the exhaust valves ahead of the intake valves.  You need to work back and forth but you should have the exhaust valves fully open before the intakes or you will bend valves. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

49 minutes ago, bluehills2002 said:

Healey, I have 6025 and would gladly share it with you as I would love to see it in action, but I do not think I am in your area.  Does the photo help with your inquiry?

E0BEB861-26A8-4AF5-AF6B-EA08B502F7A9.jpeg

I do a build or two a year and would love to put one of these in my box

Lots of great information here, thanks much.

I'm intrigued by the rotate-a-cam method as it seems pretty logical.  If one is removing the cam and the rocker shafts, would you first remove the cam or leave the cam in and start pounding out the shafts?

• Remove all clips
  • Starting with #4, set those valves to closed, with room under the eccentrics
  • Drive out the rocker shafts so that the two rockers can be removed
  • Rotate cam to set #3 valves to closed, loosen eccentrics
  • Push rocker shafts out some more
  • Rinse and repeat till shafts are out
  • Remove cam
  • Assembly would be the reverse of this

Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks.

I think the answer to the original question is that the tii had higher compression pistons, and therefore the piston/valve clearances are lower, so using the *wrong* tool might push them too far open and into the pistons. However with the head off the car, since they're the same head this would become a non-issue.

I think your method might work, but remember that there will still be pressure on the rocker shafts with open valves; I think you'd want to get the pressure off of everything first.  I sorta speak from experience as I removed a camshaft in my dorm room in collage using allen wrenches to lever back the rockers and then spinning/extracting the cam out, and while I got it done, I would NOT recommend this! The next time I rented a valve compressor/cam removal tool from someone here on the FAQ that mates to the valve cover studs and you just tighten them down slowly and the taps push open all of the valves, and then you just slide the cam out.  Well worth the $20 plus shipping for me, you just gotta find someone that'll lend you the right tool (or make your own if you prefer, as outlined above!)