• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker trim install help

rjd2

Hi all, so I am in the home stretch of a 2 year restoration on my '76 02. I am having a dickens(read: f**kall) of a time getting the rocker trim installed using the white repro fasteners. I have managed to put a few chips in my brand new paint job(hopefully will touch up ok), and every time in think it's installed, i open and close the door, and it clunks to the floor. any tips? At some point, the trim I have had a screw ran though the rear end of it. I'm toying with drilling through the rear fender, and just fastening it with a bolt. Before I go that route, are there any more elegant solutions I'm overlooking?

PS-after reading around, and coming up short on the nose belt line trim piece, I went the Cowles 1/2" chrome strip route all the way around. From 5' back, it looks shockingly good. If I can get the returns looking right, I think it's gonna be a very passable solution.

I used anchors (for drywall) to get the plastic clips to anchor properly the clipped the trim to these. Worked like a charm. Choose anchors that fig the existing holes, I put the clip on anchor screw with the expandable piece through the hole.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

I've used both the old and new style clips for my rocker panel trim--sometimes together--and discovered that especially with the new style clips, don't install 'em too close to the body--when you drive the little retaining pin in place, allow just a little wiggle room for the clip.  Then when you install the trim, either hook the trim's upper or lower edge over the clip, then push--or tap with a rubber mallet--the other edge into position.  

A further thought--the clips themselves wear out--especially the original small black clips--and will no longer hold the trim firmly in place.  

mike 

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I feel you....I have yet to tackle mine for the same fears.

I have been told by  a friend that if you are using the new clips offered  by W&N for example,  you should use a thinner type rubber washer placed between the mounting clip and the lower sill plate. This allows the clip to stand off the sill just enough the trim piece grabs the tabs more securely. Apparently its a trick the E9 guys have been using. Haven't tried it but sounds feasible.

• Like 1

Those dastardly clips are the worst I have used!  Both my cars have issues.  A PO used the drywall expansion anchor (plastic type) on the tii but they broke loose so I installed new clips--- that won't hold the trim tight. 

I have to be very careful when exiting the cars not to let my foot or leg touch the trim.

The original grey colored clips on the 69 held the trim on very well!

Also heard the e21 clips were a little better.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Thanks guys. And yes, I don't doubt the "offset trick" would work wonders. It does seem that the main rub is that the fasteners sit too close to the rocker for the trim piece to properly "grab" the clip. I'll see if I can gently pry them back a bit from the body.

12 minutes ago, Guy Cocquyt said:

I used the steel drywall anchors and they have worked very well. I left them loose by about 2 mm and when the trim was clipped on them they gripped solidly and haven't budged I'm over 2 years.

Wouldn't they rust?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

They could rust, but so could the rockers, it's the same environment. However the plastic part of the clip fills the hole, so less probability of water getting in there. I would spray in a rust inhibitor plus coat the anchor before installation and that would slow it down. I didn't worry about that as my rockers already show some rust damage and will get replaced when I repaint sometime in the future.

A while back I ordered what appear to be the real thing from DSSALES. Whilst I have not yet used them (insert lazy), they look the same as the originals. A box of 25 cost around $12 from memory.

http://www.dssales.net/BC_AUDIVW.htm       scroll down to part 5002303

http://www.dssales.net/ORDER.html

• Like 3

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

You can also try putting a rubber washer under the clip to hold it away from the body just a little.  The rubber washer also acts like a seal.  They are plumber washers, easily picked up at a hardware store

Thanks, Rick

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Harvanj said:

The clips show below work better the the current replacement white clips. Readily available, google search will give optional vendors. 

A8E16436-8EDD-410C-8868-B91A312E7916.jpeg

Yes, that's the ones that I have. Vendor in my post above.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17