• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIN 2391001 and 2780399

NYNick

13 hours ago, jgerock said:

I tried to review the comments and gave up. Wonder what was deleted?  Car certainly looked very nice.

I was there pretty much there the whole time. The only comments I saw deleted were after the auction ended and people were making comments about having the seller contact them so they could see the car in person and maybe buy it. BaT doesn't take kindly to this kind of behavior which evades their fees, so there was an IMMEDIATE deletion of these comments. Kind of dumb of the posters to ask this, but that's what happened.

Other than that, I didn't see any other deletions. The car was nice, but a fraud. I believe the seller was hoodwinked and didn't find out until he put it on BaT.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

11 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Why is /that/ the question? Why does any of us care how the car got that way?

Probably has to do with if this guy is trying to pull a fast one or did he get duped and had a fast one pulled on him.  In the end it doesn't really matter.

But that's not much of a fast one with 2 different VINs...

And I can see where Delia would get frustrated with some of the yahoos on BAT.  I stopped following it a while ago.  Some of the cars are fun, but it seems to be a circle jerk about money; got no interest.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

1 hour ago, NYNick said:

I was there pretty much there the whole time. The only comments I saw deleted were after the auction ended and people were making comments about having the seller contact them so they could see the car in person and maybe buy it. BaT doesn't take kindly to this kind of behavior which evades their fees, so there was an IMMEDIATE deletion of these comments. Kind of dumb of the posters to ask this, but that's what happened.

Other than that, I didn't see any other deletions. The car was nice, but a fraud. I believe the seller was hoodwinked and didn't find out until he put it on BaT.

Delia had a comment flagged (thus deleted) for not being constructive. I had that on a previous '02 auction for saying the nose panel (or fenders) had been changed (it was kinda obvious to the '02ers)......it was my few minutes of fame!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

If you had Tii #2780399 and it was a RUST bucket beyond salvage (but it's bones were good), and an automatic '02 #2391001 that was virtually rust FREE in your garage,.........

What would you do?  

Excluding the fact that BAT listed it incorrectly. ................... 

Temptation executed.

Mac. 

If it's the red one in Virginia Beach, VIN is 2586170 and it has motor 2393082. Assuming the huge difference between the previous Seller's asking price, the current Seller either thinks he has a tii because of the badge on the back, or he's really trying it on.

I’m in Virginia Beach and remember it being sold on CL earlier this year. Advertised as 2002 with a Tii motor sans the mech fuel injection. It sold within a couple of hours of being poster. I think asking price was under 7k.

I was hoping to see it around. Kinda disappointed to see it getting flipped.

Jason

5eb663fa0552f4dee5e6cd921165f017.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

1 hour ago, mac said:

If you had Tii #2780399 and it was a RUST bucket beyond salvage (but it's bones were good), and an automatic '02 #2391001 that was virtually rust FREE in your garage,.........

What would you do?  

Temptation executed.

Mac. 

What remaining portion of a Tii that is a "RUST bucket beyond salvage" would constitute "good bones?" When people say a car has "good bones," don't they typically mean the issues with the car are largely cosmetic? Or are we calling an engine/rear emblem/VIN tag/title "bones" in this case?

BAT lists everything incorrectly. They list what they are told, which is rarely accurate because people are ignorant. That's why all their auction descriptions are littered with idiotic lawyer-speak, qualifying phrasing like "reportedly" and "appears to be."

• Like 1

I saw one where the seller said that BAT made him title it as a tii, even though he had switched the induction to something else- he apologized for it in the ad.  It's in BAT's interest to have cars bring a higher price- they get paid a percentage of the sale price.  Just people being greedy.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

1 hour ago, mac said:

What would you do?  

Temptation executed.

Mac. 

You're kidding right?

I guess I would put the engine in 2391001 and register it as 2391001, then maybe market it as a clone. I certainly wouldn't remove the VIN plates from the Tii and put them on 239 and then register it as 278, a different year Tii. Would you? 

That's what happened to this car. Fraud, pure and simple.

• Like 2

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS