• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello From a New 02 Owner

TripE46

Hi, I've been scouting 02's since the first time I saw one in person more than a decade ago. A few weeks ago one popped up for sale that ticked all of the boxes for me, just one little bugaboo...it's in Holland. I went from "I'm not messing with importing a car" to closing the deal in less than 24 hours, haha. Anyway, it's a 1975 1502 in agave green and it's scheduled to arrive around Christmas. I figured that it makes sense to make a few friends before it gets here. 

Aside from being my first 02, it's my first car with a carburetor and it's a bit of a frankenbimmer. It's a 1502 with high compression 1.8 M10, dual weber 40 dcoe carbs, Schrick 292 cam, lightweight flywheel, and a few other odds and ends. It's got a ton of service records but they're all in dutch. I'm no stranger to the wrench, but this is definitely a different sort of car then I am used to working on. 

Anyway, I just thought I'd introduce myself. If anyone has any good suggestions/resources for a guy who's new to carburetors, it's much appreciated.

Trip

75' 1502 Agave Green

02' M3 Phoenix Yellow

Congratulations!  Looks great & welcome to the forums.  Be prepared to learn a ton from an amazing community with some serious knowledge.  I've owned my 2002 since July, and without the help I've received here, I'd still be struggling to take care of the "quirks" on mine... not there aren't lots of quirks left ? 

• Like 1

Tim Dennison

'72 BMW 2002 tii - Malaga,  '02 BMW Z3 Coupe Sterling Gray,  '09 BMW 650i - Carbon Black,  '15 BMW 228i Estoril Blue,  '19 BMW Z4 30 - San Francisco Red

Very nice!  Looking forward to meeting you soon and seeing your car.  Looks like the owner made some modifications other than the flares, air dam and "2002" emblem.  I believe all 1502's didn't have operable vent windows, yet your car looks like there are hinges in the frames. 

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

1 hour ago, jgerock said:

Very nice!  Looking forward to meeting you soon and seeing your car.  Looks like the owner made some modifications other than the flares, air dam and "2002" emblem.  I believe all 1502's didn't have operable vent windows, yet your car looks like there are hinges in the frames. 

I thought that too, but, most of the pics I have of 1502s show that they have the regular 1/4 vent windows. I can't believe they have all been modified, so perhaps it was an option, or maybe just the very last ones had the non-operable windows?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

8 hours ago, jgerock said:

There aren't any great pictures of the front windows, so I'm not 100% sure but I don't see latches anywhere. The owner stuck that 2002 badge on there because he was having trouble locating a nice 1502 badge. He found one after we made a deal and included it with the title and service history, so I'll be swapping that out when it arrives. 

75' 1502 Agave Green

02' M3 Phoenix Yellow

3 minutes ago, TripE46 said:

There aren't any great pictures of the front windows, so I'm not 100% sure but I don't see latches anywhere. The owner stuck that 2002 badge on there because he was having trouble locating a nice 1502 badge. He found one after we made a deal and included it with the title and service history, so I'll be swapping that out when it arrives. 

Here are some pictures of a 1502 sales brochure.  If there aren't any interior knobs, then you certainly have fixed vent windows.

SKMBT_C28010101404321.jpg

SKMBT_C28010101404320.jpg

SKMBT_C28010101404311.jpg

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"