• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002 tii

johnpeter

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, RonfromIN said:

VIN does not fall in the range currently recognized as 72tii. Posting claims it’s a Euro. Are Euro VINs outside the range I see in the faq discussion of VINs?

Yes, 276xxxx and 278xxxx cars are solely U.S.-market tii’s. The Golf car appears to be a Euro-spec car that’s been, oddly, sold and re-sold multiple times recently (maybe it never really sells, but is continuously listed). I know nothing about the car except that it is a Euro-spec.

The VIN decoder supported by the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia is reliable and accurate:

https://www.bmwclasicos.com/servicios.php#Como

But to get a precise build date and verification of the factory color, send an email to BMW Group Archives, with the car’s VIN, and request their data on the car (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com). There is no charge and the response is generally within two business days — Group Archives, however, is closed until January 7th.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I know from experience anything after 1968 cannot be registered in CA without being federalized.  Nothing to do with smog but with US safety standards that has to do with glass, bumpers, side reflectors, etc.  I have a Euro 73 that I will probably not be able to finish building and end up parting out or selling to another state because of this stupid law, not sure if this applies to other states.  This car will have the same problem trying to get it registered in CA or any other state that has the same rules, I'm guessing hence the low price.  Some sucker in the wrong state and the lack of knowledge will end up with it and when it cannot be registered put it back on the market.  Probably at a loss. 

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

I've seen this car in person. It was parked about 12 miles from me, for several weeks. Lots of home-brew style body repairs and thick body filler under shiny paint. Nearly ALL of the unique Euro parts have been removed or replaced with incorrect US spec stuff (front seat cloth, rear vinyl seat, headlights, speedometer, etc).

I won't bash the seller here, but the car was vastly different in person, versus what the photos suggest. Home made rocker panels, home made frame rail, etc.  Would be a great bare metal restoration project at $3000-4000 IMHO. needs everything body-related to be completely re-done (properly). If nothing else, the crispness of the rear quarter panel wheel arch lips are wallowed out and suggest a 1/4" layer of body filler. 

I suspect the "scam artists" mentioned in the listing were simply folks that saw the car in person (or took a closer look, once things got "real"), and realized they had bought a car in far worse condition that the photos might indicate.  

Edited by wegweiser
  • Like 3

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com