• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Familiar With This Noise?

FLEMINGO

I have just finished installing a shift linkage refurbish kit, along with new nuts for the flex plate bolts. I pull out of my garage and immediately it starts making this noise (see the video), I assume something on the driveshaft is hitting something. Is this one of those tell-tale signs of something?  I have ground away some material on the shift plate support arm to hopefully give the flex plate bolts some clearance. Has anyone else run into this problem? Edited by FLEMINGO

Can’t quite tell but I assume you are talking about the ‘ringing’ metallic scraping? So this is associated with engine revolutions or road speed? Judging by the foam sealing ring being pressed hard against the transmission tunnel (in your video) it’s unlikely that the shift linkage has settled down and is rubbing on the drive shaft (most likely culprit). I think you just need to get underneath and eyeball and listen for whatever is rubbing as you slowly rotate the driveline over your head. 

also, checking your terminology: when you say ‘flex plate’ are you referring to rubber donut in the driveline? This is generally called a ‘guibo’. I was initially confusing it with a flex plate from an automatic transmission flywheel (unless that’s what you meant). 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexplate

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Only way to know is to put it back up in the air and take a look at everything. It sounds like something rotational is only lightly touching. Get under it, rear wheels off the ground, in neutral, and slowly turn the driveshaft... A bright flashlight will help identify any shiny worn spot. 

Good luck. It’s probably something simple 

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

FLEMANGO...hard to tell from video but you can get a rattle on the shifter between the ball with small shaft at base plate and the black on your car shifter handle...good luck with this.

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

Guibo nut/bolts loose and hitting the shift mechanism?  Not that I've ever had one of those come loose or anything...  Especially if you can feel it in your hand on the shift lever.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

• 1 month later...

+1 for irdave's "Guibo nut/bolts loose and hitting the shift mechanism."

I had the same ticking noise post-intall of a new guibo.  One of the 8 bolts or nuts was hitting something (do not remember exactly what).  Not much room around a spinning guibo.  I had to loosen all 8 of the bolts and retighten them carefully, individually, and accurately...then repeat a couple of times.  Took a really long time to do so b/c I learned the guibo and drive shaft had to be aligned carefully, accurately, just-so, and in the right alignment with NO, repeat, NO stress in the guibo.  I had my friend, Ben, help, show, and advise me.  Also got telepohnic help from this site (re: install of guibo) and from a real Fountain of Knowledge, Mike Pugh. 

However, your ticking might be something else...

Larry

OEM hardware specially in this case guaranteed to work and should not experience like you did if installed correctly. IMO there is no need for LOCTITE THREADLOCKER BLUE 242

08    Hex bolt    26111102144    M10X61    (8)

11    SELF-LOCKING HEX NUT    07129964672 M10 (8)  

https://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2215&mospid=47140&btnr=26_0136&hg=26&fg=10

Edited by Buckeye

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

Okay, one problem fixed, and now another one shows up. I’ve got transmission fluid leaking significantly. I attached pictures, and it is all over the place!

Any common culprits? I just replaced the speedometer o-ring, and it looks like the leak is coming from somewhere higher.

A5945371-4B45-497A-969C-958322618A94.jpeg

8B72DC92-E512-4AA3-86A0-EB60D1D352BC.jpeg

1976 2002