• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Familiar With This Noise?

FLEMINGO

Just read through this.  I am impressed with myself that I called the issue.  How do I know?.  I had the same issue.  You must use the factory nut and bolt.  Even Nylock nuts back out, even factory nuts on non-factory bolts back out. 

Weird,  can't explain why, but it is true in my case. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

ATL

I was always taught to insert the bolts which go through the guibo from back to front, so the nuts are on the transmission side of the guibo and the the bolt heads on the driveshaft side of the guibo.  That way if a nut falls off, you simply lose a nut; if the bolt backs out, it will do so toward the drive shaft, not toward the transmission.  The other way, the renegade bolt can "back out" toward and into the transmission and cause much damage.

Larry

IMG_6775.thumb.jpg.8da3a596a9fc6f06b1d65653db2c0a3e.jpg

9 hours ago, 2002#2 said:

I was always taught to insert the bolts which go through the guibo from back to front, so the nuts are on the transmission side of the guibo and the the bolt heads on the driveshaft side of the guibo.  That way if a nut falls off, you simply lose a nut; if the bolt backs out, it will do so toward the drive shaft, not toward the transmission.

Yep. -KB

that switch (must be the reverse light?) may be loose, or need a new crush washer, based on the drip underneath it.  Or, that oil just got slung up there.

A5945371-4B45-497A-969C-958322618A94.jpeg

You have the larger e21 transmission mount and it is looking pretty puffy, due to the oil bath.  I would put a fresh one on the shopping list, along with the rubber mounts and special nuts/large washers/bolts for the exhaust hanger at the bottom of the photo.  When installing, mount to the transmission first and then attach the U bolt-hanger side, once it has been positioned on the transmission.

Oil sprayed back there will also cause the rubber bits in the shifter assembly to go all gooey and soft.  If you have not done those, they could be added to your shopping list too.

The reverse light switch can leak from where it threads into the transmission and/or where the (2) terminals protrude from the switch itself.  Remove the two wire leads and try wiggling the male terminals. If they are loose, replace the switch.  Make sure to use a crush washer on the switch.

Also, make sure to use a thread locker to the (2) Allen type bolts securing the shift tower to the transmission. They tend to loosen over time and the left one goes into the transmission cavity (where the fluid is).

• Like 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Okay, thanks for all the input, and I have a few questions.

1. To flip the drivetrain bolts around, I think I will have to take off the guibo to allow space to turn the bolts around. Can I do that, or will the guibo expand when I take it off? I seem to remember that new ones are installed with a metal band to keep it compressed.

2. Can I install a new selector rod seal without dropping the tranny again? I believe I can push another in there, moving the original one deeper toward the tranny - but am wondering if I am going to have to pull the tranny out to get to it. I could not feel a set screw or hog ring on the selector rod joint.

3. On the shift rod mount, where I have the two bolts that use an allen key for tightening - I understand one is supposed to be longer than the other? Mine are the same length. Could that be part of my problem?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

Keith

1976 2002

1.  Big hose clamp

2.  Hive mind says yes.  In my personal experience I couldn't hammer another seal in, I had to pull the one out, and it was a pain.  And I already had the trans out of the car.

3.  I don't know that mine are different.  The only thing I've heard weird about bolt length is with the 5 speed cover...  Something about putting the 5 speed together.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

3.  The hole for the bolt on the drivers side is drilled thru to the case interior.  Seal the threads when installing the bolt to keep gear lube from seeping out in time and making a mess on the trans rear.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.