• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Behold my new license plate

Sahara

When I was a kid in college (United Kingdom), I had a chance to buy a Triumph Spitfire which had the licence plate LES 444. The car was £300. Unfortunately I could not afford it, as my college grant barely covered my beer & cigs on a Saturday night. If that plate came up for sale today, it would be in the £4000 to £5000 range.☹️

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

16 minutes ago, eurotrash said:

You're paying money twice for the same information. 

Same info, different larger format.  How many times do people ask what model the car is when it can be clearly seen on the rear panel?  The plate gives that data in a much more obvious way that folks recognize immediately.  Clever puzzles on plates don't usually do that.

Also, it is a good way to crow about your treasure.

Edited by halboyles

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

4 hours ago, halboyles said:

Same info, different larger format.  How many times do people ask what model the car is when it can be clearly seen on the rear panel?  The plate gives that data in a much more obvious way that folks recognize immediately.  Clever puzzles on plates don't usually do that.

Also, it is a good way to crow about your treasure.

They'll still ask whether it's a Tii or not, and I don't think the plate has enough characters to communicate that definitively.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

They'll still ask whether it's a Tii or not, and I don't think the plate has enough characters to communicate that definitively.

Where do you guys live that people are familiar enough with 2002s to ask that question? Here it’s pretty much just “nice old car” or “that’s a weird BMW.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Sahara said:

Where do you guys live that people are familiar enough with 2002s to ask that question? Here it’s pretty much just “nice old car” or “that’s a weird BMW.”

The left coast. It's not limited to 2002s though. If you have an old Chevy they'll ask if it's a Bel Air, if you have an old Ford they'll ask if it's a V8 or a roadster. If you have an old Bug they'll ask if it's a Super Beetle or just the regular one.

It's a funny thing to me for one to strike up a conversation ostensibly demonstrating some knowledge of a subject but with the inquiry itself betraying any perceived credibility they might have had otherwise.

They really just want to start a conversation with you and they perceive some value in expressing whatever familiarity they think they might have. I've never had an unpleasant chat about any of my cars other than the ones where it becomes clear that they only engaged me so that they could then take the opportunity to talk about themselves. 

On 12/4/2018 at 6:45 AM, eurotrash said:

Maybe its just me, but I can't pay money, reiterating something that naturally exists on the actual body of the car. Any car. 

they are called "vanity plates" for a reason. I had them once on a VW. after a while felt kinda dumb. didn't renew.

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

Ohio has what are called "initial reserve" plates, which allow a limited arrangement of numbers and letters for half the annual cost of a full vanity plate. Seven numbers was an acceptable option...20170416_185040.jpeg

Sent from my phone.

• Like 3

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

My current plate is MCMLXX2.  I thinks it funny because I think it's funny.  (No accounting for taste...)

On the car I just bought, it came with the California plate 'BMW M2.'  I think that one's going up for sale in a little bit.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Always get the question "What year is that?"

IMG_2652.JPG

• Like 2

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40