• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Orinal paints

Scottjeffrey

2 minutes ago, Scottjeffrey said:

Thank you, Steve! I thought for sure my 74 Malaga was an enamel or acrylic enamel. Laquer! 

Best Regards,

Scott

Scott,

If you see orange peel on a panel, it's been re-painted post-factory. The original lacquer was dead smooth.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

34 minutes ago, Conserv said:

The original lacquer was dead smooth.

Not only that, it was nearly as nice on the underside of the hood and trunk, and other interior surfaces, like door sills and edges.  

mike

PS--E114 is the sedan body; E10 is the Touring...

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

13 hours ago, mike said:

Not only that, it was nearly as nice on the underside of the hood and trunk, and other interior surfaces, like door sills and edges.  

mike

PS--E114 is the sedan body; E10 is the Touring...

Touring is E6

1511295989_E6Touring.thumb.png.da8d5b8ba91b4bb64e0371e83f379698.png

Edited by 02Les
  • Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Im trying to figure out what kind of paint to use to do my engine bay and cowl area as well as I can without removing the engine (rattle can and possibly an airbrush for harder to reach spots). I have the radiator and a/c out so I have access as well to the interior of the nose panel. Maybe I should use acrylic lacquer after all. I hadn't considered it. Its very airbrush friendly and available in color matched acrylic lacquer rattle cans as well.

15 hours ago, Scottjeffrey said:

I see. Mine is faded oem. It actually buffs out nice under the hood where the sun didn't shine. I had no idea it was lacquer.

That explains the collection of completely unrelated items randomly stuck in my engine compartment.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Scottjeffrey said:

Im trying to figure out what kind of paint to use to do my engine bay and cowl area as well as I can without removing the engine (rattle can and possibly an airbrush for harder to reach spots). I have the radiator and a/c out so I have access as well to the interior of the nose panel. Maybe I should use acrylic lacquer after all. I hadn't considered it. Its very airbrush friendly and available in color matched acrylic lacquer rattle cans as well.

same paint through out

• Like 1

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)